Graduate Certificate in Disaster Risk and Resilience
Directly engage with UN resources
A unique DRR course co-developed and certified by the United Nations. You’ll study fundamental disaster risk concepts, with a focus on sustainable development. Learn how to conduct disaster risk evaluations. Get to know current DRR tools and protocols.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- No dates available
The University of Newcastle is dedicated to outstanding education and research. Their degrees are shaped around global learning, work placements and entrepreneurial opportunities. The university is known as a champion of innovative approaches, striving for a dynamic teaching culture that delivers world-class outcomes. Welcoming students from diverse backgrounds, they focus on equity and developing the next generation of socially-oriented leaders.
Learn more about Newcastle University.
Explore Newcastle University courses.
QS Ranking 2024
Times Higher Education Ranking 2024
What you'll learn
On successful completion of the program students will have:
- Applied a range of analytical and problem-solving skills to deal with issues in the practice of disaster risk reduction and management, accommodating the precepts of the United Nations Frameworks including the UN Declaration of Rights of Indigenous Peoples
- Analysed legislative, policy and procedural influences upon disaster risk reduction actions in the context of public, private and not-for-profit sector organisations, accommodating the precepts of the United Nations Frameworks.
- Developed resilient organisational strategies in the context of disaster risk reduction and management, accommodating the precepts of the United Nations Frameworks. Critically reviewed the level of participation of Indigenous peoples, how Indigenous-led initiatives have contributed, and what more needs to be done.
- Critically analysed the level of engagement with Indigenous peoples and cultures, in accordance with Australian standards, legislative requirements, and best practices
The University of Newcastle hosts CIFAL Newcastle, an international training centre with a special focus on disaster risk reduction (DRR). As a result, University of Newcastle graduates will be well positioned to move into organisations who require experts to specialise in, or have knowledge of DRR.
This qualification has wide appeal, and is suitable for those pursuing a career where they are responsible for business continuity and human safety such as a:
- risk manager
- compliance officer
- local government officer
- WHS coordinator
- Recovery outreach worker
- Policy officer
- Strategic planner
- Director of emergency management
- Disaster resilience officer
- Bureau of Meteorology Hazard Prediction team member
This program is certified by the Centre International de Formation des Autorités et Leaders (CIFAL) Newcastle, in accordance with the requirements of the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR).
Admission to the program is open to those who have successfully completed an:
- AQF 6 (Associate Degree or Advanced Diploma) or higher, or
- AQF 5 (Diploma) award with at least five years of full time equivalent relevant industry experience.
* Work experience is evidenced by a detailed CV and Statements of Service.
English Proficiency Requirements
All Applicants must demonstrate that they meet the University’s English proficiency requirement. Further information regarding English language proficiency requirements can be found at the English Language Proficiency for Admission Policy here.
Credit for previous study or work
If you wish to apply for credit for studies completed at another institution, or if you are changing programs within the University and wish to transfer your credit to the new program, visit the University's credit website for more information on applying for credit.
Study a Graduate Certificate in Disaster Risk and Resilience at the University of Newcastle and equip yourself with essential skills and knowledge to excel in the dynamic field of disaster risk reduction and management.
Emerge as a practitioner who can navigate the intricacies of disaster risk reduction. Focus on disaster management and pre-disaster preparedness, while upholding the principles outlined by current international frameworks.
This specialised program is certified by CIFAL Newcastle and aligned to United Nations Institute for Training in Research (UNITAR) designed for graduates who wish to specialise in one key learning area only. Graduates will be prepared to make a difference across a range of industries to shape and inspire future generations.
Degree structure details
Recommended Study Pattern
Students will complete the following core courses to fulfil the requirements of the program.
- Disaster Risk and Resilience Principles
- Community-led Resilience and Leadership
- Disaster Resilience Economics and Business Resilience
- Disaster Governance and International Frameworks