Diploma of University Studies (Psychological Science)
Get a head start on your psychology degree
Combine preparatory subjects with foundational psychology subjects, and you get a pathway to a Bachelor of Psychology. Set yourself up for success with skills in academic writing and numeracy. Be introduced to the fascinating study of human behaviour.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- No dates available
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
Upon completion of this program, the student should be able to:
- Apply generic skills for academic purposes relevant to your field of study underpinned by principles of academic integrity
- Identify, analyse, and transmit knowledge and specialised skills by learning independently and collaboratively
- Express ideas and perspectives for academic purposes relevant to your field of study
- Demonstrate a scholarly approach to communication and problem-solving skills
Higher education via OUA
Successful completion of any 2 OUA open access subjects of study at the equivalent AQF level, unless otherwise specified.
Domestic Applicants with higher education study:
- Domestic Applicants with higher education study - Completed at least one undergraduate subject (equivalent to 12.5 UTAS credit points) within an associate degree course or higher: OR
- Completed a minimum of four University Preparation Program subjects (equivalent to 50 UTAS credit points) or equivalent.
Completed the TCE (or equivalent)
Successful completion of a Certificate III or higher
Work and Life
Supporting Statement/Personal Competency Statement with extensive and sustained work experience
The University of Tasmania grants credit and recognition of prior learning that may include formal and/or informal prior learning. More information is available here.
The Diploma of University Studies is designed as an alternative entry pathway to university study. In each specialisation, students study subjects which provide the skills and knowledge related to their intended degree and are provided with additional support to maximise their chances of success. Completion of the Diploma will typcially provide achievement at Introductory level in four subjects. Specialisations offered in the Diploma of University Studies are Arts, Business, Education, Engineering, Nursing, Psychology, Social Work, and Science. The course is offered full time or part time. Campus, semester, and attendance mode availability varies by specialisation - please refer to individual specialisations below.
Recommended Study Pattern
For students undertaking full-time study the following study pattern is recommended. If students are undertaking part-time study, we recommend that students complete all first year compulsory subjects prior to completing elective subjects to maximise success.
Year 1. 8 subjects in first year including:
- TAS-PSY111 Transferable Skills in Psychology
- TAS-PSY112 Brain and Behaviour
- TAS-PSY124 Mental Health and Individual Differences
- TAS-PSY125 Psychological Processes
- TAS-XAB011 Learning at University
- TAS-XAB021 Academic Writing
- TAS-XAB084 Introductory Scientific Principles
- TAS-XAB091 Academic Numeracy
Satisfactory completion of 8 subjects, as required in the schedule, within 1-3 years from commencement.
You can apply direct through Open Universities Australia.
Once you've checked your eligibility, apply and enrol for this degree following the steps. This degree also allows you to get started with Open access.
Select ‘Apply now’
Choose subjects to begin your application. You can choose 1 or 2 subjects to start.
Choose how you want to start
You can apply for the full degree or if you want to start with Open access, enrol into the subjects using the ‘Single subjects’ option.
You can apply for the degree later and the subjects may be credited towards the degree.
Complete your details
Provide your details and select a funding option. You can pay up-front or apply for government funding in your application.
We're here to help answer your questions. Our friendly student advisors provide 7 day support.
This degree offers Open access entry, exclusive to Open Universities Australia.
There’s more than one way to get a degree. Open access allows you to start with single subjects as a way into eligible degrees, regardless of your study history.
Enrol into and complete the required Open access subjects to earn entry in this degree. Most subjects have no entry requirements, are fully government funded (if you’re eligible) and may be credited when you start the degree.
The best part? You can enrol and get started with single subjects now.