Diploma of Applied Business
Find out if business is for you
Gain a solid foundation in business basics and work out if you’re ready for the exciting world of business. Study core business subjects and explore some IT electives. You’ll be well placed for entry-level office roles or continued business studies.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- 03 Jul 22
- 03 Jul 22
- 14 Aug 22
- 21 Aug 22
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Upon successful completion of this diploma students should be able to:
- Identify, source and analyse information relevant to business and social challenges
- Evaluate a range of alternate solutions to business and social challenges and account for potentially competing economic, ethical, social and commercial perspectives in a responsible manner
- Communicate professionally and effectively with a range of stakeholders, using a variety of modes of communications and appropriate tools
- Devise innovative recommendations to business and social challenges, based on the identification of the elements of a problem and the application and evaluation of problem solving approaches
This course has been designed with a high employability focus in the exciting world of business. Career opportunities include:
- Administration Manager
- Executive Personal Assistant
- New business start-up
- Office Manager
- Product Manager
- Project Assistant
- Administration Officer
An equivalent academic level achievement
Completion of Year 12, with a study score in English of at least 25. An ATAR of at least 50.0 or equivalent is required.
Completion of a minimum of Certificate IV
Work and Life
Students may apply based on two years relevant work experience after leaving school
Students who have studied at tertiary level elsewhere, or who have relevant studies or work experience, may be eligible for advanced standing (credit) towards a La Trobe University qualification. Advanced standing enables you to complete your degree earlier, reduce your study load and/or take on additional qualifications.
We can provide you with more details about the process for advanced standing at enrolment (advanced standing is similar to recognition of prior learning).
This business diploma adopts an enquiry based learning approach that helps you develop important problem-solving, critical thinking, and decision-making skills relevant to business. It's applied nature makes it one of the most popular online courses in Australia.
Please note that you will be required to enrol in the 3 Year Applied Business Degree, but can exit after 1 Year with the University Diploma should you complete it successfully.
Recommended Study Pattern
As a full-time student, each year of your course must be completed within 12 months. You will then achieve your diploma by studying 8 subjects over a 1 year timeframe.* Undertaking 30 hours of study per week should see you successfully complete your qualification within this timeframe. Each subject has specific deadlines based around your study plan which you must meet.
You may undertake your studies part-time instead, however, this will extend the duration of your course. Feel free to ask the La Trobe Student Admissions Team about this option.
- BUS1OPX Office Professional
- BUS1BFX Business Fundamentals
- BUS1AFX Accounting and Finance Fundamentals
- MKT1MDX Marketing: Stand and Deliver
- MGT1OBX Working with Others
- CSE1SPX Sustainability Practices
Elective subjects (choose 2):
- CSE1ITX Information Technology Fundamentals
- BUS2WDX Manage Diversity
- BUS2PMX Project Management
- MKT1ADX Advertising in a Digital Age
- MGT1FOX Foundations of Management
*Minimum timeframe for the diploma is 12 months. This can vary according to:
- Your progress in the course
- Leave of absence, such as holidays
- Advanced standing granted
- Changes between part-time and full-time
- Availability of subjects (for preferred elective options)
Completion of 8 prescribed subjects.