Bachelor of Communication
Craft your creative communications career
Create a career communicating online or in print. Strategize and integrate digital communications, marketing, public relations, media or brands. Promote networks and connect with industry creatives. Devise campaigns and launch communications plans.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
The University of South Australia, UniSA, is ranked in the top 10 universities nationally and amongst the very best young universities in the world. They offer over 200 world-class degrees that are informed by industry and delivered with a highly practical approach to teaching and learning. In fact, they are South Australia’s number one university for graduate careers. They are a valuable partner with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
With the Bachelor of Communication from UniSA Online you will develop expertise in essential communication areas ranging from strategic communication planning, public relations, communication research, marketing and promotional communication.
You can expect to graduate with the skills to deliver effective communication strategies across a range of industries and media platforms. In your final year you will complete an industry standard integrated communication plan.
You have the option to tailor your degree to your specific interests and broaden your career prospects through your choice of electives.
As a graduate you will be qualified to work in a range of areas such as print, radio and electronic media. You will be able to manage communication and media in contemporary culture and think strategically. Careers that you may consider include:
- communications officer
- media adviser
- public relations officer
- digital and social media manager
- online editor
This UniSA Online degree is currently available for Commonwealth supported students.
Applicants are required to fulfil at least one of the following requirements with a competitive result and meet any other academic requirements for the program:
- successfully completed equivalent to a minimum of half a year of full-time study of a higher education program at a recognised higher education provider
- completed an award from a registered training organisation at Certificate IV level or above
- passed a UniSA Online literacy and numeracy test and have relevant work experience
- completed a secondary education qualification equivalent to SACE, such as an interstate year 12 or international qualification
- completed a UniSA Foundation Studies Program or equivalent
- qualified for Special Entry
Students who do not meet these criteria can start studying now by enrolling in the subjects below. Students will be eligible to apply upon successful completion of four subjects and all subjects will be credited towards the degree.
- COMM1072 Communication and Media
- LANG1064 Intercultural Communication
- COMM1073 Introduction to Social Media
- MARK1018 Marketing Principles: Trading and Exchange
- COMM1074 News Reporting
- COMM1075 Professional and Technical Communication
- COMM1076 Public Relations Theory and Practice
For more information or if you are unsure of your eligibility please contact an OUA Student advisor on 1300 729 424.
Information regarding credit can be found here:
Study Communication On Demand with UniSA Online and take full control over your study. Access support seven days a week, plan your study to fit around your life, view learning resources 24/7, and log into the interactive online environment anywhere, any time and on any device.
This 100% online communication degree will provide you with the skills and knowledge to produce effective communication strategies across a range of traditional and emerging media platforms.
Taught by academics with strong industry connections, you will discover new trends in the field to prepare you to work across a diverse media landscape. You can be confident that what you’re learning will prepare you for the workforce, no matter what industry you choose to work in.
Recommended Study Pattern
Note: The program structure is subject to change at any time. (Information correct as at August 2019)
- Critical Approaches to Online Learning (CURR 3021)*
*This subject is common to all UniSA Online degrees and will be offered multiple times each year to enable students to commence their program of study at any time. Students who are studying part-time must take this subject first before they study any other subjects in their chosen degree. Students who are studying full time may take this subject and one other subject in the same study period.
- Introduction to Social Media (COMM 1073)
- Communication and Media (COMM 1072)
- Intercultural Communication (LANG 1064)
- News Reporting (COMM 1074)
- Public Relations: Theory and Practice(COMM 1076)
- Marketing Principles: Trading and Exchange (MARK 1018)
- Professional and Technical Communication (COMM 1075)
- Content Creation for Media (COMM 2092)
- Language and the Media (LANG 2043)
- Writing and Editing for Publication (COMM 2093)
- Elective 1
- Communication Research Methods (COMM 2090)
- Media Law and Ethics (COMM 2091)
- Broadcast Journalism (COMM 2089)
- Elective 2
- Promotional Communication: Advertising, Publicity and Marketing (COMM 3078)
- Elective 3
- Industry and Practice (COMM 3076)
- Social Media Engagement (COMM 3084)
- Advanced News Writing (COMM 3073)
- Communication Management in Practice (COMM 3075)
- Integrated Communication Planning (COMM 3077)
- Elective 4
Students must complete 24 subjects including 4 electives.