Bachelor of Applied Business (Marketing)
The practical degree in marketing
Use communication to persuade with a career in marketing. Build a toolbox of business skills that lend themselves to various industries before majoring in marketing. Learn the inner-workings of organisations and graduate with a hands-on degree.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- No dates available
The third university established in Victoria, La Trobe University has a diverse community of more than 33,000 students and staff. Its commitment to excellence in teaching and research prepares students to make a bold and positive impact in today's global community. La Trobe provides Open Universities Australia with its core tenets, entrepreneurship and sustainability.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
Upon successful completion of this degree students should be able to:
- Identify, source and analyse information relevant to business and social challenges
- Evaluate a range of alternate solutions to business and social challenges and account for potentially competing economic, ethical, social and commercial perspectives in a responsible manner
- Devise innovative recommendations to business and social challenges, based on the identification of the elements of a problem and the application and evaluation of problem-solving approaches
- Communicate professionally and effectively with a range of stakeholders, using a variety of modes of communications and appropriate tools
- Engage professionally and effectively to the success of a multicultural, team, in a manner which is respectful of the needs, values, personalities and capabilities of others
- Utilise digital technologies to identify, source, analyse and communicate information relevant to business and social challenges
- Meet the disciplinary knowledge and skill requirements for graduates seeking to commence a career in marketing
This course has been designed with a focus on upskilling, or moving into the exciting world of business. Career opportunities include:
- Administration manager
- Executive personal assistant
- New business start-up
- Office administrator
- Office manager
- Product manager
- Project assistant
- Administration officer
- Executive officer
- Program consultant
- Program coordinator
An equivalent academic level achievement
Completion of Year 12, with a score in English of at least 25. An ATAR of at least 50.0 or equivalent is required.
Completion of a minimum of Certificate IV
Work and Life
Students may apply based on a minimum two years work experience after leaving school
Students who have studied at tertiary level elsewhere, or who have relevant studies or work experience, may be eligible for advanced standing (credit) towards a La Trobe University qualification. Advanced standing enables you to complete your degree earlier, reduce your study load and/or take on additional qualifications. We can provide you with more details about the process for advanced standing at enrolment (advanced standing is similar to recognised prior learning).
A business degree with a marketing major will provide you with a foundation of business and key marketing skills. The skills and knowledge available in this qualification are highly desirable in a wide range of roles in the business world.
Those seeking to change careers, move into a new marketing/sales-related role or start their own enterprise will find the content of this course invaluable. The Marketing major is designed for roles requiring a good working knowledge of research skills, market and consumer analysis, media planning and marketing strategies. This is also invaluable when working with external media and marketing-related agencies.
Studying an applied business qualification will introduce you to the workings of organisations and their structure, increase your commercial marketing awareness, and allow you to build practical knowledge that will be essential for your future career goals.
This course is delivered online in partnership with Didasko.
Recommended Study Pattern
As a full-time student, each year of your course must be completed within 12 months. You will then achieve your bachelor degree by studying 24 subjects over a 3 year timeframe.* Undertaking 30 hours of study per week should see you successfully complete your qualification within this timeframe. Each subject has specific deadlines based around your study plan which you must meet.
You may undertake your studies part-time instead, however, this will extend the duration of your course. Feel free to ask the Student Admissions Team about this option.
- CSE1SPX Sustainability Practices
- BUS1BFX Business Fundamentals
- BUS1AFX Accounting and Finance Fundamentals
- MKT1MDX Marketing: Stand and Deliver
- MGT1OBX Working with Others
- MKT1ADX Advertising in a Digital Age
- BUS1OPX Office Professional
Elective subjects (choose 1):
- CSE1ITX Information Technology Fundamentals
- BUS2WDX Manage Diversity
- BUS2PMX Project Management
- MGT1FOX Foundations of Management
- MKT2MRX Market, Audience and Social Research
- MKT2BBX Digital Branding and Retailing
- BUS1ABX Analysing Business Data
- BUS2BIX Business Innovation
- LST2BSX Introduction to Business Law and Ethics
- BUS1BUX Investigating Economic Issues
- MGT2IMX Managing Across Borders
- MKT2CBX Consumer Behaviour
- BUS3DBX Digital Business
- BUS3ENX Entrepreneurship
- MGT3LWX Leadership
- MKT3IMX International Marketing
- MKT3SOX Social Marketing
- MKT3SMX Strategic Marketing
Elective subjects (choose 2):
- BUS3SVX Service Management
- BUS3WLX Work-Based Learning Project
- MGT3OCX Organisational Change and Development
- MGT3SMX Strategic Management
Note: The subjects in this course are only available to students enrolled into the online degree programs.
*Minimum timeframe for the bachelor degree is 36 months. This can vary according to:
- Your progress in the course
- Leave of absence, such as holidays
- Advanced standing granted
- Changes between part-time and full-time
- Availability of subjects (for preferred elective options)
- Two not-for-credit online modules: one will provide you with an introduction to concepts of academic integrity and the other an introduction to local indigenous culture
- A core of fourteen subjects is designed to: enhance your understanding of business principles and develop your business skills; and develop and assess your communication, research, thinking, problem-solving and teamwork skills through all three levels of the course
- Two of the common core subjects, Sustainability Practices and Entrepreneurship, will provide you with opportunities throughout your course to apply your disciplinary knowledge and skill, through multidisciplinary teams, to researching, analysing and resolving global, sustainability and entrepreneurial challenges typical of those facing business today
- Ten elective subjects provide you with the opportunity to extend the breadth of your course. You may choose to use these subjects to complete an eight-subject major, which is an optional requirement of this course, in order to provide you with the disciplinary depth required to practice your chosen discipline
- This degree is designed to be completed within three years of full-time study, although part-time study is possible. The maximum time allowed for a student to complete this degree is seven years.
- Students must complete the course set out below, comprising 360 credit points (24 subjects).
- No more than 150 credit points (10 subjects) may be at first-year level
- At least 120 credit points (8 subjects) must be at third-year level
- Students must complete all prerequisite subjects prior to enrolling in a core or elective subject
- LTU0AIM is a not-for-credit subject that students are required to complete at the commencement of their first semester. The subject is designed to enhance students' knowledge and awareness of issues concerning academic integrity
- ABS0WOM is a not-for-credit subject that students are required to complete at the commencement of their first semester. The subject is designed to introduce students to Indigenous Australian perspectives, experiences, history, culture and customs
La Trobe University online applied degrees provide you with the unique opportunity to achieve up to three qualifications over the duration of your studies.
Subject to satisfactorily completing each part of your course, you will be awarded an applied diploma (end year 1), an applied associate degree (end year 2), and an applied bachelor degree when you complete all three years. Your potential earning capacity increases as you progress through your course.