How to become a geologist or geophysicist
What does a geologist or geophysicist do?Geologists and geophysicists study the layers of Earth’s surface and below, providing advice on mining and extraction of minerals, water, and other substances. They might also work in weather, seismic, and oceanographic forecasting.
Duties and tasks
- Research aspects of Earth's physical surface for publishing in academic journals and research circles.
- Sample rocks and other physical specimens for information on the constitution and composition of the surface of Earth.
- Study fossils and other materials to add to the body of knowledge on evolution.
- Survey specific locations for the presence of minerals, water, and petroleum.
- Forecast earthquakes, tsunamis, and other natural phenomena.
- Teach college and university courses.
- Australian Institute of Geoscientists
- The Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (AusIMM)
- Geological Society of Australia
- Environmental geologist
- Environmental scientist
- Field or exploration geologist
- Geoscience technician
- Marine geologist
- Mine site geologist
- Petroleum geologist
- Structural geologist
Discover related courses
Step up your career with these resources
Is a career in project management right for you?
Do you get a kick out of thinking big and getting things done? You could make a great project manager.
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.
We're here to guide you there
Our student advisors can assist you with enrolment, help you plan your studies, and answer questions about how studying through Open Universities Australia can get you from where you are today, to where you want to be tomorrow.