How to become a film or media director
What does a film or media director do?Film or media directors lead the creative aspects of performing arts productions, such as movies, television shows, and live theatre. They guide actors in how best to play their characters, working with producers to manage the production.
Duties and tasks
- Research and choose scripts.
- Audition and select a cast.
- Think about location and scenery.
- Describe costume and makeup requirements.
- Communicate cinematograph, lighting, and technical aspects.
- Attend rehearsals and work with actors.
- Collaborate on editing and postproduction changes.
- Film director
- Movie director
- Radio or television director
- Stage director
- Stage manager
- Theatrical director
Discover related degrees
Discover related subjects
Step up your career with these resources
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.
How to write a business plan
Thinking about striking out on your own and starting your own company? Here's how to create an effective business plan.