How to become an engineering manager
What does an engineering manager do?Engineering managers are responsible for planning and overseeing projects, and leading a team of engineers. They resolve high level technical engineering issues, as well as performing managerial duties such as budgeting, recruitment and training, and interdepartmental liaison.
Duties and tasks
- Draw up budgets, schedules, and plans.
- Run an engineering department, organisation, company, or firm.
- Plan and implement projects and initiatives within engineering departments.
- Provide advice and guidance to engineers.
- Work with governmental and other agencies to ensure compliance.
- Liaise with managers of other departments and companies to coordinate marketing, research, and development projects.
Discover related courses
Step up your career with these resources
Upskilling or reskilling now will give you more career options
Thanks to the pandemic, new technologies and calls for social progress, the world of work is changing. How will you stay ahead in your industry?
Edward on how OUA helped progress his career
When he realised the ease of online study, Edward's goals went from squeezing through with a 'pass', to achieving excellent marks.
The checklist to prepare your career for the 2020s
With the turn of the decade, and today's speedy technology advances, here's how employees can approach the next 10 years in the workforce feeling prepared, not panicked.