How to become an industrial engineer
Pathways to this career
- Industrial engineers must study a bachelor’s degree in engineering or science, majoring in manufacturing, architecture or mechanical engineering. An honours year may be required depending on the chosen degree.
- Take the next step in your career and enrol in a postgraduate engineering degree or study a postgraduate environmental science degree.
- Ensure you're up-to-date with developments in your field with industry bodies like Engineers Australia. Memberships means you'll be the first to receive news, meet likeminded people and be able to access relevant seminars.
What does an industrial engineer do?
Duties and tasks
An industrial engineer’s primary focus is to achieve optimal output while taking time, resources, technology, safety and environmental factors into consideration.
- Analyse project and production documentation to identify and introduce changes to workflow and production processes.
- Maximise cost efficiencies by discovering new ways to manufacture parts or deliver services.
- Establish ways to achieve maximum efficiencies across production schedules, facility layout, workplace utilisation and equipment usage.
- Develop standards and policies for design and production.
- Ensure the design of operation and manufacturing processes are safe and meet compliance specifications.
- Engineers Australia
- Association of Professional Engineers Australia
- The Institute of Industrial Engineers
Discover related courses
Step up your career with these resources
What is an occupational therapist and what do they do?
Occupational therapists play a crucial role in healthcare. But what exactly do they do, and how can you follow this rewarding career path? Let’s find out.
Dietitian vs nutritionist in Australia: What’s the difference?
Want to help people make healthier food choices? Get to know the nutrition experts who guide us on everything from macros to calories for a living.
Adriana is using her nutrition degree to make a difference
With her Bachelor of Food and Nutrition, Adriana educates others about the impact food can have on the body.