How to become an industrial engineer
Pathways to this career
- Industrial engineers must study a bachelor’s degree in engineering or science, majoring in manufacturing, architecture or mechanical engineering. An honours year may be required depending on the chosen degree.
- Take the next step in your career and enrol in a postgraduate engineering degree or study a postgraduate environmental science degree.
- Ensure you're up-to-date with developments in your field with industry bodies like Engineers Australia. Memberships means you'll be the first to receive news, meet likeminded people and be able to access relevant seminars.
What does an industrial engineer do?
Duties and tasks
An industrial engineer’s primary focus is to achieve optimal output while taking time, resources, technology, safety and environmental factors into consideration.
- Analyse project and production documentation to identify and introduce changes to workflow and production processes.
- Maximise cost efficiencies by discovering new ways to manufacture parts or deliver services.
- Establish ways to achieve maximum efficiencies across production schedules, facility layout, workplace utilisation and equipment usage.
- Develop standards and policies for design and production.
- Ensure the design of operation and manufacturing processes are safe and meet compliance specifications.
- Engineers Australia
- Association of Professional Engineers Australia
- The Institute of Industrial Engineers
Discover engineering courses
Step up your career with these resources
Is a career in project management right for you?
Do you get a kick out of thinking big and getting things done? You could make a great project manager.
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.
We're here to guide you there
Our student advisors can assist you with enrolment, help you plan your studies, and answer questions about how studying through Open Universities Australia can get you from where you are today, to where you want to be tomorrow.