Legal Practice Management and Professional Conduct
Know your professional obligations by studying ethics and professional conduct in the legal profession in Victoria. You’ll cover managing trust accounts, handling conflicts, confidentiality, client illegality, and ethics in the adversary system.
Your upfront cost: $0
Subjects may require attendance
- 16 Nov 2020
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
Upon successful completion of this subject you will be able to:
- Demonstrate an advanced and integrated understanding of the rules of ethics and professional conduct that apply to the legal profession.
- Critically evaluate the regulation of the legal profession and identify areas of reform.
- Analyse and research complex problems relating to the legal profession and make reasoned and appropriate choices amongst alternatives.
- Demonstrate sophisticated cognitive and creative skills in approaching legal issues relating to legal profession and generate appropriate responses.
- Show effective, appropriate and persuasive collaboration and communication skills for legal and non-legal audiences.
- Please refer to RMIT University’s Learning Management System - Canvas, for further details.
- Audio-Video streaming
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or currently be enrolled in the following subject(s) in a prior study period; or enrol in the following subject(s) to study prior to this subject:
Please note that your enrolment in this subject is conditional on successful completion of these prerequisite subject(s). If you study the prerequisite subject(s) in the study period immediately prior to studying this subject, your result for the prerequisite subject(s) will not be finalised prior to the close of enrolment. In this situation, should you not complete your prerequisite subject(s) successfully you should not continue with your enrolment in this subject. If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite subject(s) and believe you may not complete these all successfully, it is your responsibility to reschedule your study of this subject to give you time to re-attempt the prerequisite subject(s)
As this is a Capstone course, you are normally expected to have completed all core subjects of the JD.
No special requirements
This subject explores lawyers’ professional obligations, the work that lawyers do, the history and ongoing changes in the Australian legal profession. The rules of Ethics and Professional Conduct of the legal profession in Victoria will be studied, together with issues such as trust account management, handling conflicts of interest, client confidentiality, client illegality, ethics in the adversary system and accountability.
- Assessment Task 1 (20%)
- Assessment Task 2 (30%)
- Invigilated Exam (50%)
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.