Advanced Contract Law
Add to your contract law knowledge with your study of vitiating factors including misinformation, abuse of power and illegality, and the related concepts of equitable estoppel and restitution. Then explore ways contracts may be legally discharged.
Your upfront cost: $0
Subjects may require attendance
- 20 Jul 2020
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
Upon successful completion of this subject you will be able to:
- knowledge of a wide range of legal concepts, values, principles and rules of Australian contract law including a sound understanding of the grounds on which a contract may be deemed void, rescinded and/or terminated and the ability to identify the various forms of relief and remedies which may be available in these circumstances
- demonstrate sophisticated and advanced cognitive and creative skills in approaching legal issues relating to contract law and generate appropriate responses
- the capacity to articulate and apply those principles to specific fact scenarios and come to a well-reasoned conclusion on the relevant legal obligations and likely outcomes
- the ability to work collaboratively and communicate effectively to a range of different audiences.
- Please refer to RMIT University’s Learning Management System - Canvas, for further details
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Audio-Video streaming
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or currently be enrolled in the following subject(s) in a prior study period; or enrol in the following subject(s) to study prior to this subject:
RMI-OJD105-Fundamentals of Contract Law and RMI-OJD110 ;
Please note that your enrolment in this subject is conditional on successful completion of these prerequisite subject(s). If you study the prerequisite subject(s) in the study period immediately prior to studying this subject, your result for the prerequisite subject(s) will not be finalised prior to the close of enrolment. In this situation, should you not complete your prerequisite subject(s) successfully you should not continue with your enrolment in this subject. If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite subject(s) and believe you may not complete these all successfully, it is your responsibility to reschedule your study of this subject to give you time to re-attempt the prerequisite subject(s)
No special requirements
This subject builds on the foundational skills and knowledge obtained in Fundamentals of Contract Law. This unit is designed to provide an overview of the vitiating factors affecting contracts, including misinformation, abuse of power and illegality. This unit will also introduce students to key related concepts, such as equitable estoppel and restitution. Finally, as part of this subject, students will study the various ways in which contracts may be discharged and/or terminated and the relevant remedies and relief which may be available in these circumstances.
- Multiple Choice (20%)
- Memorandum of Advice (30%)
- Open Book Invigilated Exam (50%)
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.