Australian Company Law
Delve into the law of corporations. Understand the difference between businesses and companies, and study regulations, incorporation and its implications, governance, shareholders' rights and remedies, directors’ rights and duties and insolvency.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
Subjects may require attendance
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
On successful completion of this subject you will be able to:
- Demonstrate an advanced and integrated understanding of corporate law.
- Analyse and research complex problems relating to corporate law and make reasoned and appropriate choices amongst alternatives.
- Demonstrate sophisticated cognitive and creative skills in approaching legal issues relating to corporate law and generate appropriate responses.
- Show effective, appropriate and persuasive communication skills for a professional audience.
- Please refer to RMIT University’s Learning Management System - Canvas, for further details.
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or currently be enrolled in the following subject(s) in a prior study period; or enrol in the following subject(s) to study prior to this subject:
Please note that your enrolment in this subject is conditional on successful completion of these prerequisite subject(s). If you study the prerequisite subject(s) in the study period immediately prior to studying this subject, your result for the prerequisite subject(s) will not be finalised prior to the close of enrolment. In this situation, should you not complete your prerequisite subject(s) successfully you should not continue with your enrolment in this subject. If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite subject(s) and believe you may not complete these all successfully, it is your responsibility to reschedule your study of this subject to give you time to re-attempt the prerequisite subject(s)
No additional requirements
This subject is an examination of the law of corporations. It begins with an overview of various business organisations and then focuses exclusively on companies. The subject covers the corporate regulatory system, incorporation and its implications, corporate organs and corporate governance, directors’ rights and duties, shareholders’ rights and remedies, and insolvency.
The assessment alignment list below shows the assessment tasks against the learning outcomes they develop. Feedback will be provided throughout the semester in class and/or in online forums through individual and group feedback on practical exercises and by individual consultation.
- Assessment Task 1 - Linked CLOs: 1 (10%)
- Assessment Task 2 - Linked CLOs: 1, 2, 3, 4 (40%)
- Invigilated Examination - Linked CLOs: 1, 3 (50%)