Study the origins, development and adoption of administrative law principles into the Australian legal system. Appreciate the role of delegated legislation, merit and judicial review, the ombudsman and freedom of information legislation.
Your upfront cost: $0
Subjects may require attendance
- 19 Jul 2021
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- demonstrate an advanced and integrated understanding of Administrative Law in Australia
- critically evaluate the Administrative Law system in light of contemporary legal issues and developments
- critically analyse and research complex problems relating to Administrative Law
- demonstrate the intellectual and practical skills needed to justify and interpret theoretical propositions, legal methodologies, conclusions and professional decisions and identify, research, evaluate and synthesise relevant factual, legal and policy issues using legislation, case law and secondary source materials.
- Please refer to RMIT University’s Learning Management System - Canvas, for further details
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or currently be enrolled in the following subject(s) in a prior study period; or enrol in the following subject(s) to study prior to this subject:
Please note that your enrolment in this subject is conditional on successful completion of these prerequisite subject(s). If you study the prerequisite subject(s) in the study period immediately prior to studying this subject, your result for the prerequisite subject(s) will not be finalised prior to the close of enrolment. In this situation, should you not complete your prerequisite subject(s) successfully you should not continue with your enrolment in this subject. If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite subject(s) and believe you may not complete these all successfully, it is your responsibility to reschedule your study of this subject to give you time to re-attempt the prerequisite subject(s)
No special requirements
This subject studies the origins, development and adoption of administrative law principles into the Australian legal system, the role of delegated legislation, merit and judicial review. Associated remedies and other areas of administrative law including the ombudsman and free of information legislation will be explored.
- Discussion Board & Assignment (20%)
- Research Essay (30%)
- Open Book Invigilated Exam (50%)
Current study term: 18 Jul 21 to 24 Oct 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.