Warning! This subject requires you to do a practical placement, please see Special Requirements for more information.
Transition to the Teaching Profession
A final unit to demonstrate your attainment of skills, knowledge and attributes as an early childhood or primary professional. Via a 10-week placement, demonstrate you can plan for and teach children with diverse backgrounds, abilities and needs.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Apply for 2020
Online and other materials
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- demonstrate professional knowledge that reflects an understanding of student learning, content knowledge and pedagogy
- demonstrate professional practice that reflects planning and implementation of positive, effective teaching, learning, assessment, provision of feedback, and reporting
- demonstrate professional practice that creates and maintains a positive, safe, supportive learning environment for all
- demonstrate an understanding of the importance of continued professional learning and positive relationships with colleagues, parents, carers and the wider commsubjecty
- demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the responsibilities that comprise the role of the teacher / educator, including maintaining a positive identity and professional resilience.
- Internship in School
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
CUR-EDE401 , or CUR-EDE492-Leadership in Early Childhood Education, or CUR-EDP440 , or CUR-EDP443-Mathematics Pedagogies and Integrated Curriculum and CUR-EDP417 , or CUR-EDC471-Professional Learning and Development in Education and CUR-EDC415-Curriculum Integration and Differentiation, or CUR-EDP410 ;
You are recommended to have completed the following subjects(s) or have equivalent knowledge before starting this subject:
- PlacementDetails - Includes Placement
All core and elective subjects must be completed before students can enrol in their final subject, EDC421 Transition to the Teaching Profession. Students will need to contact firstname.lastname@example.org requesting permission to enrol in EDC421 Transition to the Teaching Profession. Once we have confirmation that the student has satisfied the above requirements, then the restriction will be lifted.
This final subject will allow students to demonstrate their attainment of skills, knowledge and attributes as a professional. During a sustained a one full school term, conducted in a full-time continuous block professional experience students will plan and maintain a supportive learning environment, and implement and assess a sustained teaching program in an early childhood or primary classroom. They will demonstrate they are able to meet the needs of all children by taking into account the need to plan for and teach children with diverse cultural backgrounds, abilities and needs.
To view the Practicum Calendar, please see below:
EDC421 Practicum Calendar 2018 (PDF, 59KB)
*** Due to the placement in this subject, if you are claiming a Centrelink study benefit while studying EDC421 please contact an OUA Student Advisor on 1300 363 652. ***
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
- Prof Placement (Pass/Fail%)
- Final Teaching Report (100%)