- Introduction to Developing Early Literacy - Review first Literacy Unit: Literacy for Teachers
- The foundations of literacy learning and some key teaching strategies for developing early literacy
- The key elements of early reading - phonological awareness
- The key elements of early reading - phonics
- Comprehension, Vocabulary and Fluency
- The key elements of early writing - developing ideas
- The key elements of early writing - text types and language features
- How to teach grammar as part of writing
- The importance of Children's Literature and digital literacies
- Teaching English Language Learners
- The Literacy Classroom
- Planning and managing literacy learning
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Chat Rooms
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
- Web links
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
You don't have to enrol in this subject if you have completed EDP230 Literacy Education 2 as they are considered equivalents.
- OtherDetails -
- Additional materials
This subject emphasises comprehensive knowledge and application of the skills, conventions, processes and strategies for teaching English in Primary School (Australian Professional Standards for Teachers, Standard 2, know the content and how to teach it). Students develop personal and professional literacies, an English teaching philosophy and extensive instructional and pedagogical strategies for promoting children's literacy during the primary school years.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Exercises (50%)
- Essay (50%)
Bachelor of Education (Secondary Education)
- Core Education Subjects - Unrestricted
- Major in The Arts - Visual Arts Education
- Major in English Education
- Major in Humanities and Social Sciences Education