Secondary Professional Experience 1: Planning
A 2-week professional placement to enable you to apply your knowledge and gain insights into the complexity of a teacher's role. Evaluate the way practising teachers plan learning experiences and employ pedagogical strategies to engage learners.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Apply for 2019
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- construct lesson plans with challenging learning goals, a range of teaching strategies, and diverse resources, including digital technologies, that reflect an understanding of how students learn
- apply and evaluate effective planning techniques and a range of teaching strategies, acknowledging the needs of students from diverse backgrounds, in a major secondary teaching area
- use effective communication skills and maintain student safety in secondary school settings
- observe a practising teacher and analyse their approach to planning of learning experiences, and their use of pedagogical and formative assessment strategies to engage students and monitor their learning.
- Teachers professional practice
- The teaching and learning cycle
- Curriculum development and levels of planning
- Lesson Planning - Part A
- Lesson Planning - Part B
- Pedagogical practices
- Teaching and learning strategies
- Catering for all students
- Reflective practices
- Responsive practices
- Assessment, evaluating and reporting
- Building positive relationships and classroom management
- Reflection and review
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
- Streaming Multimedia
- Web links
- Online Assessment
- Resources and Links
- Audio-Video streaming
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
Note: Level 2 subjects normally assume an introductory level of prior knowledge in this area, e.g. from studying related Level 1 subjects or other relevant experience.
- OtherDetails -
Access to Microsoft office, video creation & editing software
This is the first in the suite of professional experience placement subjects. The subject explores what it means to be an effective teacher. It focuses on lesson planning, including selecting objectives and appropriate teaching, learning and formative assessment strategies. In addition, it includes the use of appropriate resources and effective communication to support learning. A two-week professional placement will enable students to apply their knowledge and skills gained in the theory component, and gain insights into the complexity of the teacher’s role, aiding their development of a teacher identity. The overall pass requirement for the subject consists of a mark of at least 50% for the theory component and a pass for the professional experience placement.
To view the Practicum Calendar, please see below:
EDS202 Practicum Calendar 2018 (PDF, 25KB)
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Placement — Professional experience (Pass/Fail%)
- Exercises (60%)
- Report — Observations (40%)
Bachelor of Education Secondary Education
- Core Education Subjects - Unrestricted
- Major in The Arts - Visual Arts Education
- Major in English Education
- Major in Humanities and Social Sciences Education