Warning! This subject requires you to do a practical placement, please see Special Requirements for more information.
Professional Experience 3: Using Data to Inform Teaching and Learning
Sift through educational data and analyse it. Bring in information from diverse sources including families, schools, allied professionals and Indigenous student groups. Let this data inform your work on improving the student learning experience.
Your upfront cost: $0
Online and other materials
- 30 Aug 2021
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- research and explain theory for the effective use of data to improve student learning outcomes
- create learning plans based on data and research
- examine data from a full range of sources such as family, allied professionals, class or centre, school and system
- evaluate Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander student data and proposed actions to improve student learning outcomes
- demonstrate professional practices, knowledge and skills that support effective learning and teaching, the creation and maintenance of positive learning environments that support the diverse needs of students.
- A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this subject will be provided in your study materials.
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
CUR-MTS504-Secondary Professional Experience 2: Assessment and Reporting, or CUR-MTEC502-Early Childhood Professional Experience 2: Planning, Assessment and Reporting, or CUR-MTP506-Primary Professional Experience 2: Assessment and Reporting ;
Completion of TCAT Note: Student must have completed TCAT to enrol into this unit
- PlacementDetails - The fieldwork for this unit includes a 15-day professional experience placement in an advised education setting. Placements are undertaken on a full-time basis in a continuous block at the specified time.
- OtherDetails -
Working with Children check
This subject was previously known as MTPS503 Professional Experience 3: Using Data to Inform Teaching and Learning.
This is the third in the suite of professional experience subjects and includes both a theory and a practical component. This subject focuses on principles, processes and impacts of classroom, school level and system data collection, analysis and interpretation. Data relevant to Indigenous educational outcomes will be interrogated, emphasizing an evidentiary approach to program and policy development in classrooms, schools and beyond. The professional experience practical assessment is a three week full-time block placement intended to enable practical application of the knowledge and skills gained. All required clearances to work with children must be obtained and valid, and all other professional experience requirements met. Both theory and practical components must be passed in order to pass the subject.
To view the Professional Experience Calendars, please see below:
2020 Master of Teaching (Primary) ProfExp Calendar (PDF, 117Kb)
2020 Master of Teaching (Secondary) ProfExp Calendar (PDF, 116Kb)
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Dataset Presentation (50%)
- Individual Learning Plan (50%)
- Professional Experience Placement (Pass/Fail%)
Current study term: 29 Aug 21 to 28 Nov 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.