Warning! This subject requires you to do a practical placement, please see Special Requirements for more information.
Primary Professional Experience 3: Evaluating Learning
Prepare a digital portfolio that showcases ability to think critically. Consider the progression of Australian Professional Standards for Teachers, along with literature., theory and assessment practices. Build your own assessment process.
Your upfront cost: $0
Online and other materials
- 30 Aug 2021
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- review the progression of development of the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers and evidence in a prepared digital professional portfolio
- appraise literature and theory concerning effective assessment principles and practices
- examine classroom, state, national and international assessment practices
- construct a responsive assessment process which assesses, makes comparable judgements, provides feedback and reports on student learning
- demonstrate professional practices, knowledge and skills that support effective learning and teaching through the maintenance of positive learning environments that are designed to support the needs, wellbeing and developing agency of diverse students
- Unit orientation; What is assessment and types of assessment in schools
- Principles and practices of effective assessment
- Learning theory perspectives on assessment
- System wide assessments
- Constructing different types of assessments
- Developing rubrics and marking guides
- Moderation and assessment integrity
- Assessment feedback
- Qualitative assessment data
- Quantitative assessment data
- Teaching Performance Assessment: Analysing teaching practice; Professional experience placement preparation
- Review and Reflection
You won't be able to enrol into this subject if you've already successfully completed or currently enrolled in the following subject(s) as they are considered anti-requisites due to the similarity of the content.
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
- PlacementDetails - This subject includes a 4-week professional experience placement in a school. Placements are undertaken on a full-time basis in a continuous block. Please note that all relevant, valid working with children checks and clearances must be provided as requested prior to commencement of the placement.
This is the third in the suite of professional experience subjects and includes both a theory and a practical component (a placement in a school). This subject focuses on assessing, providing feedback and reporting on student learning. It encompasses the principles and purpose of effective assessment through the analysis and critique of different learning theories. The professional experience practical assessment is a 4 week full-time block placement intended to enable practical application of the knowledge and skills gained along with providing further insights into the complexity of the teacher’s role. All required clearances to work with children must be obtained and valid, and all other professional experience requirements met. Both theory and practical components must be passed in order to pass the subject.
To view the Professional Experience Calendar, please see below:
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Professional Task (50%)
- Create an Assessment Task (50%)
- Professional Experience Placement (Pass/Fail%)
Current study term: 29 Aug 21 to 28 Nov 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.