Warning! This subject requires you to do a practical placement, please see Special Requirements for more information.
Early Childhood Professional Experience 3: Kindergarten to Pre-Primary Learning Environments
Your upfront cost: $0
- 25 Feb 2019
- 26 Aug 2019
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- appraise the progressive development of capabilities against the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers and evidence this in a prepared digital professional portfolio
appraise and apply research findings about effective approaches to guiding behaviour, constructing positive reciprocal relationships with children, families and the community, and creating supportive learning environments to cater for the diverse needs and cultural backgrounds of children
- interpret data relating to early childhood education and propose actions to improve the diverse learning outcomes of children
- evaluate and implement assessment strategies, moderation procedures and reporting to stakeholders for children in Kindergarten and Pre-primary settings
- synthesise understandings about professional practice to apply and demonstrate knowledge and skills for effective learning and teaching; and the creation and maintenance of positive learning environments that support the diverse needs of children aged three to five years.
- To be advised
- Audio-Video streaming
- Online Assessment
- Resources and Links
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
EDE322 is an anti-requisite to EDE310. If you have completed EDE322 you do not need to enrol into this subject.
- PlacementDetails - This subject includes a 3-week professional experience placement in a school. placements are undertaken on a full-time basis in a continuous block. Please note that all relevant, valid working with children checks and clearances must be provided as requested prior to commencement of the placement.
This is the third in the suite of professional experience subjects and includes both a theory and a practical component (a placement in a Kindergarten or Pre-primary setting). With a focus on children aged three to five years old, approaches to creating emotionally supportive, equitable, healthy, safe and effective learning environments are critically examined. The design of supportive environments is contextualised within approaches to constructing collaborative partnerships and positive reciprocal relationships with children, families, and communities. The subject emphasises the application of learning, teaching and assessment approaches to meet the diverse needs of children in this age group. The examination of data relevant to early childhood education and the implications for learning and teaching are explored. The professional experience practical assessment is a four (4) week full-time block placement in a Kindergarten or Pre-primary setting intended to enable practical application of knowledge and skills covered in the theory, along with providing further insights into the complexity of the teacher’s role. All required clearances to work with children must be obtained and valid, and all other professional experience requirements met. Both theory and practical components must be passed in order to pass the subject.
To view the Practicum Calendar, please see below:
EDE220, EDE310, EDE360 Placement Calendar 2019 (PDF, 42KB)
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Professional task (50%)
- Learning and Teaching Report (50%)
Click on the titles of the listed books below to find out more:
Textbook information is pending.