Master of Public Policy: Health Policy Specialisation
Understand the intricacies of health policy
Boost your ability to become a leader in your workplace by deepening your knowledge of health policy, systems and institutions. Research and evaluate global health systems. Debate policy formulation, systems and challenges.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- No dates available
ANU is a world-leading university in Australia’s capital city, Canberra. Their location points to their unique history, ties to the Australian Government and special standing as a resource for the Australian people. Their focus on research as an asset, and an approach to education, ensures their graduates are in demand the world-over for their abilities to understand, and apply vision and creativity to addressing complex contemporary challenges. ANU offers an outstanding variety of programs for Australia's next generation of language leaders. Their innovative online subjects are offered from beginning to advanced levels via OUA, and various enrolment options provide for different student needs and goals.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
Upon successful completion of the study, you should be able to:
- Demonstrate deep understanding of public policy and its key challenges and issues, in Australia and globally;
- Understand processes and challenges of agenda-setting, formulation, implementation, management and evaluation of public policy;
- Reflect critically on key theoretical debates in the field of public policy including its practical application across cultural, developmental and institutional contexts;
- Demonstrate understanding of methods for policy research and analysis and identify and apply them with appropriate tools to public policy issues;
- Analyse, synthesise and communicate complex, political and institutional policy problems from multiple perspectives.
ANU ranks among the world's very finest universities. Our nearly 100,000 alumni include political, business, government, and academic leaders around the world. We have graduated remarkable people from every part of our continent, our region and all walks of life. The specialisation is particularly designed for future leaders, managers and policy makers working in health, including within public sector organisations, global institutions and non-governmental organisations.
At a minimum, all applicants must meet program-specific academic/non-academic requirements, and English language requirements. Admission to most ANU programs is on a competitive basis.
- Bachelor degree or international equivalent with GPA 5/7; or
- Bachelor degree or international equivalent with GPA 4/7 and a minimum of 3 years full-time equivalent work experience at ANZSCO Skill Level 1 in a field related to the program; or
- Bachelor degree or international equivalent with GPA 4/7 and a Graduate Certificate or international equivalent with a GPA of 4/7; or
- Graduate Diploma or international equivalent with a GPA 4/7; or
- 48 units of courses in a postgraduate program with a GPA of 4/7; or
- Graduate Certificate or international equivalent with a GPA of 4/7 and a minimum of 3 years full-time equivalent work experience at ANZSCO Skill Level 1 in a field related to the program; or
- Graduate Records Examination (GRE) General test, completed no more than 5 years before the time of application, with a minimum score of 155 for Verbal Reasoning, 155 for Quantitative Reasoning and 4.0 in Analytical Writing and a minimum of 3 years full-time equivalent work experience at ANZSCO Skill Level 1 in a field related to the program; or
- A minimum of 10 years full-time equivalent work experience at ANZSCO Skill Level 1 in a field related to the program.
In line with the university's admissions policy and strategic plan, an assessment for admission may include competitively ranking applicants on the basis of specific academic achievement, English language proficiency and diversity factors.
Find more information about the Master of Public Policy at the ANU Programs and Courses.
Work and Life
A minimum of 10 years full-time equivalent work experience at ANZSCO Skill Level 1 in a field related to the program.
English Proficiency Requirements
Applications must meet the ANU English Language Requirements for Admission.
Applicants with a Bachelor Degree, Bachelor degree with Honours, Graduate Certificate or Graduate Diploma in a cognate discipline may be eligible for up to 24 units.
Health Policy, one of the Master of Public Policy specialisations, enables you to understand the design and function of health policy, systems and institutions, and become a future leader in health. The specialisation provides health professionals with leadership capabilities, research and evaluate health systems and policies, and multi-disciplinary and globally-oriented program. If you’re a manager or policymaker working in health and have leadership potential, this degree specialisation is for you.
This multi-disciplinary, globally-oriented program will equip you with the skills to influence equitable health policy outcomes in the public and non-government sectors in Australia, as well as international settings. Exposure to current, key concepts and debates on health policy will deepen your knowledge of policy formulation, systems and institutions, and the transboundary characteristics of health challenges – the demands and consequences of technology and health data, social inequity and development. Critical, conceptual and problem-oriented analyses will frame your learning about how health policy systems interconnect with other social policy fields, and the role and influence of the professions working across health. You will assess the challenges to coordinating and promoting health across policy silos and jurisdictional boundaries. When you graduate, you will have the skills to research and evaluate health policies and systems, and to apply data to determine what constitutes appropriate health objectives. This will prepare you to lead in the development of effective health systems and the shaping of health policy in a contemporary global landscape.