Master of Public Administration
Enhance your government leadership skills
Designed for future leaders in public, private and not-for-profit sectors. Understand the challenges of leading public action. Finish in 1.5 years.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- No dates available
Australian National University is a world-leading university in Australia’s capital city, Canberra. With ties to the Australian Government, they have special standing as a resource for the Australian people. Their approach to education ensures graduates are in demand the world-over for their abilities to address complex contemporary challenges. Offering innovative online subjects from beginning to advanced levels through Open Universities Australia, they meet varied students’ needs and goals.
Learn more about ANU.
QS Ranking 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Upon successful completion of the study, you should be able to:
- Understand policy tools and capabilities and how they can be applied in an increasingly complex professional environment;
- Develop and apply new skills in ethical leadership, communication, teamwork, and self-management;
- Develop and apply rigorous analytical skills for organisational learning, evidence-based decision-making in response to the complexities and challenges of public administration, management and governance;
- Engage in contemporary debates about public value, public administration, public sector management and governance in Australia and globally;
- Develop and apply informed perspectives on politics, economics, law, organisations and regulation in the analysis of public sector problems.
ANU ranks among the world's very finest universities. Our nearly 100,000 alumni include political, business, government, and academic leaders around the world. We have graduated remarkable people from every part of our continent, our region and all walks of life. You will be in high demand in various management roles in public, private and not-for-profit sectors.
At a minimum, all applicants must meet program-specific academic/non-academic requirements, and English language requirements. Admission to most ANU programs is on a competitive basis.
- Bachelor degree or international equivalent with GPA 5/7; or
- Bachelor degree or international equivalent with GPA 4/7 and a minimum of 3 years full-time equivalent work experience at ANZSCO Skill Level 1 in a field related to the program; or
- Bachelor degree or international equivalent with GPA 4/7 and a Graduate Certificate or international equivalent with a GPA of 4/7; or
- Graduate Diploma or international equivalent with a GPA 4/7; or
- 48 units of courses in a postgraduate program with a GPA of 4/7; or
- Graduate Certificate or international equivalent with a GPA of 4/7 and a minimum of 3 years full-time equivalent work experience at ANZSCO Skill Level 1 in a field related to the program; or
- Graduate Records Examination (GRE) General test, completed no more than 5 years before the time of application, with a minimum score of 155 for Verbal Reasoning, 155 for Quantitative Reasoning and 4.0 in Analytical Writing and a minimum of 3 years full-time equivalent work experience at ANZSCO Skill Level 1 in a field related to the program; or
- A minimum of 10 years full-time equivalent work experience at ANZSCO Skill Level 1 in a field related to the program.
In line with the university's admissions policy and strategic plan, an assessment for admission may include competitively ranking applicants on the basis of specific academic achievement, English language proficiency and diversity factors.
Work and Life
Students may also apply based on a minimum of 10 years full-time equivalent work experience at ANZSCO Skill Level 1 in a field related to the program.
English Proficiency Requirements
Applications must meet the ANU English Language Requirements for Admission.
Applicants with a Bachelor Degree, Bachelor degree with Honours, Graduate Certificate or Graduate Diploma in a cognate discipline may be eligible for up to 24 units.
Enhance your government leadership and program management capabilities with a Masters degree in public administration. Complete your ANU postgraduate qualification in 1.5 years. The degree is designed for future leaders and managers of public organisation in the public, private and not-for-profit sectors. It is a 1.5 year Master degree with up to 0.5 year (24 units) credit available. You will understand the complexities and challenges of facilitating public action * Disciplinary and interdisciplinary perspectives on public administration. This degree is an effective way to jumpstart your leadership and management career in public administration.
Taught by internationally-renowned researchers and teachers, you will learn essential skills in program implementation and public sector `management that can be applied within and across the public, private and not-for-profit sectors. With a focus on key disciplinary and interdisciplinary perspectives on public administration, management and governance – clustered in terms of people and finance, law and regulation, policy systems, and international governance, you will develop an in-depth understanding of the complexities of organising public action. By integrating theory and practice, you will gain high-level skills that are flexible and transferable from one agency/ministry to another. As a graduate, you will be valued for your ability to foster debate and provide comparative insights to address the dynamics of continuity and change in government and governance.