Master of Design
Gain advanced design knowledge and capability
Explore the latest design theory, practice, and innovations. You’ll explore current insights that cover UX, humanising information and the dynamics of effective communication. Design, project management, and business systems are part of your study.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- No dates available
At Torrens University Australia you can tailor your study to suit your lifestyle. Thanks to their innovative digital learning system you’ll gain the ultimate in flexibility, and still receive personalised guidance from academics and access to work placement, mentorship and internship opportunities. Online you can attend live classes or view recorded sessions, connect with lecturers and fellow students, and access content on-demand 24/7.
Learn more about Torrens.
Explore Torrens courses.
What you'll learn
As one of Australia’s leading design colleges, we take a progressive approach to learning. As has always been our practice, our courses are co-designed, developed and delivered with industry, giving you confidence that you’ll graduate job-ready. During this course you will:
- Analyse current practices and trends in design as they relate to social, cultural, economic, technological and environmental contexts.
- Research complex problems, information and theoretical concepts.
- Communicate advanced concepts and processes to justify your design outcomes or solutions.
- Practice critical and advanced creative thinking to define and solve problems through complex design projects.
An advanced capstone studio project will also give you the opportunity to consolidate your knowledge, skills and research capabilities into an innovative major design project that focuses on your own career aspirations.
This program will help you progress to senior roles within the design industry worldwide. It will also help you become an entrepreneurial, successful problem-solver who can create and contribute to a variety of design solutions. No matter what field you’re operating in, you’ll graduate with skills and knowledge that will take your career to the next level, plus an impressive portfolio that’s sure to lead to work at the highest levels anywhere around the world.
Potential career paths include:
- Creative Director
- Creative Business Founder
- Creative Design Leader
- Researcher or Lecturer
- Senior Service or Product Designer
Torrens University Australia offers flexible entry options and study pathways, whether you’re finishing school, pursuing career progression or looking for a change. Entry requirements for this course includes:
Cognate entry (design background):
- Completion of a Bachelor of Design or equivalent with at least credit average grades (60% or higher), and
- A portfolio of design work, or
- Successful completion of a Graduate Certificate of Design
Non-cognate entry (non-design background):
- Completion of a bachelor’s degree or equivalent with at least credit average grades (60% or higher)
Work and Life
Work life experience demonstrating the ability to undertake study at the required level.
English Proficiency Requirements
Standard English language requirements apply.
Don’t meet the entry requirements? We have numerous pathway programs to get you started. Contact our Future Student Advisors to learn about alternative entry options.
Credit for previous study or work
This course provides a flexible learning experience. In the core subjects, you’ll develop your own skills and practices through the design of artefacts, systems, communications and services. Then delve into specialist areas of user-centered design, design methodologies, sustainability, design leadership, service design, and the role of design in driving social and economic innovation.
Tailor your study to your lifestyle thanks to our innovative digital learning system, accessible from anywhere with 24/7 personalised support. With all your course materials online, and the option to study full or part time, on-campus, online or a blend of both it's all about flexibility.
To take advantage of the recognition of design in industry, this course has been structured to accommodate for both cognate and non-cognate students. Those with a design background (cognate), and those without (non-cognate). Cognate students can complete the Master of Design in 1.5 years, whilst non-cognate students will undertake four foundation subjects then continue with Master of Design cognate students completing their studies in 2 years full time. Part time options are available for both.
Degree structure details
Recommended Study Pattern
- For cognate entry (those with a design background), the course structure comprises a total of 9 subjects: 8 core subjects and 1 elective subject, completed over 1.5 years.
- For a non-cognate entry (those without a design background), the course structure comprises a total of 13 subjects: 11 core subjects and 2 elective subjects, completed over 2 years.
- The Master of Design for a cognate entry requires completion of all eight core and one elective subjects – a combined total of 120 credit points to be completed which includes a Major Project.
- The Master of Design for a non-cognate entry requires completion all 11 core and two elective subjects – a combined total of 160 credit points to be completed which includes a Major Project.