Master of Business Administration Industry Focused
A comprehensive foundation in core business principles
Excel in contemporary business. With sustainability built-in to every topic, you’ll become an ethical, global business leader. Industry placements relate your learning to practice. Gain confidence and get strategic about your executive business career.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
Online & on-campus
- No dates available
Flinders University is a globally-focused, locally-engaged institution with a reputation for excellence in teaching, learning and research. They offer world‐class education that develops the critical and creative thinking skills to support a student’s success. Their courses offered through Open Universities Australia span business, education and law. They are designed with flexibility in mind, while delivering the advanced qualifications to take careers to the next step.
Learn more about Flinders.
QS Ranking 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
On completion of the course, you will be able to:
- Formulate solutions to complex business problems
- Critically appraise evidence to support decision making
- Assess risks for strategic planning
- Evaluate opportunities for change
- Adopt contemporary leadership theory and practices to real life settings
- Apply technical and discipline specific knowledge and skills with creativity and initiative to new situations in professional practice
Take charge of your global business career, learn how to make waves in the industry. The MBA Industry Focused prepares you for a wide range of career opportunities in areas including management consulting, business acquisition, strategy and leadership.
Potential occupations include:
- chief executive officer
- managing director
- chief operating officer
- executive director
- national director
- chief robotics officer
- artificial intelligence architect
- in-world marketing architect
- loyalty engineer
- program director
- marketing manager
- machine and people ethics manager
- senior business development manager
Potential employers include:
- multinational corporations
- large private companies
- public sector
- market research consultancies
- corporate agencies
- not-for-profit organisations
Applicants must hold one of the following:
- Hold a bachelor degree or equivalent qualification from an approved tertiary institution
- Have completed the Graduate Diploma in Business Administration at Flinders University.
English Proficiency Requirements
Flinders University conducts an English Language proficiency check on applications submitted for consideration to its courses.
This will be met in a number of ways, including if the applicants:
- first language is English (i.e. citizenship is held for a country where English is the official language)
- completed secondary schooling in Australia
- completed prior study in English (e.g. a Certificate IV or higher from a recognised Australian training institution)
- completed one semester of full-time equivalent tertiary study at a higher education institution
- completed a recognised Foundation Studies or bridging program
- performance in the Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT) meets the University's admissions requirements
- registered with an Australian professional registration body relevant to the applicant's proposed course (e.g. applicant holds current registration as a Registered Nurse, General Practitioner, Teacher, Physiotherapist, Occupational Therapist, Social Worker and such in Australia)
- achieved a score within an international English language proficiency test such as IELTS, PTE, TOEFL or Cambridge CAE that meets the minimum proficiency for the university
- completed an approved English language course from a registered English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS) Provider
In some instances, applicants may be asked to provide evidence they meet the requirements if the information required is not available in their application.
The MBA Industry Focused will see you apply your learning to real problems faced by local and international companies. With a total of up to 36 weeks of experience through Work Integrated Learning (WIL) and industry entrepreneurial programs, you’ll have the chance to build networks that are second to none and develop leadership skills that can’t be learned from a textbook.
Credit transfer may be granted, on application, for prior study completed in a relevant honours, graduate certificate, graduate diploma or master degree; accredited professional development; or relevant work experience.
Applications for credit transfer are assessed on a case by case basis according to Flinders University policies. Students must be made an offer for entry into a degree before lodging their completed credit transfer application, along with all necessary documentation for formal assessment. More information is available at www.flinders.edu.au/credit
The Master of Business Administration Industry Focused is designed to provide a strong foundation of business knowledge, skills and attitudes to support ethical, global business management of organisations including private sector business organisations, not-for-profit organisations and public organisations. Through experiential learning techniques students will develop knowledge and skills to conduct independent research, carry out industry and discipline related projects, and relate their learning to their individual business experience.
Recommended Study Pattern
To be awarded the Master of Business Administration Industry Focused, students must complete 15 Core subjects (equivalent to 67.5 credit points) and 1 Elective subject (equivalent to 4.5 credit points):
Year 1 – 8 x Core subjects (36 credit points)
- BUSN9146 Economic Environments: Assessing Current and Future Markets
- BUSN8006 Driving Financial Performance
- BUSN9148 Marketing in a Digital Age
- BUSN9154 Working in Australia
- BUSN8007 Ethics, Sustainability and Governance
- BUSN9150 Business Analytics
- BUSN9152 Legal Signposts for Decision Makers
- BUSN8009 Creating Resilient Supply Chains and Procurement
Year 2 - 7 x Core subjects (31.5 credit points) and 1 x Elective subject (4.5 credit points)
- BUSN8008 Building Teams and Networks
- BUSN9516 Industry Placement (double subject)
- BUSN9151 Trends in Business Finance
- BUSN9149 Researching Markets
- BUSN9147 Leading a Future Workforce
- BUSN9153 Emerging Business Models: Disruptions, Collaboration and Competition
- 1 x Elective choice
To qualify for the Master of Business Administration Industry Focused, a student must complete 72 units with a grade of P or NGP or better in each topic.
Choose your subjects
Students complete 1 elective subject in their final trimester of Year 2. Select a 4.5 unit topic from across the University where requisites are met.