Master of Business Administration (Human Resource Management)
Lead and inspire as a professional manager of people with UniSA’s 5-Star MBA
Maximise your career progression in human resource management with a nationally and globally acclaimed, award-winning MBA. Gain real-world insights into workforce dynamics, people capabilities and performance from experienced executives and academic experts, while deepening your knowledge of strategy and leadership.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- 13 Jun 21
- 05 Sep 21
- 04 Jul 21
- 31 Oct 21
The University of South Australia, UniSA, is ranked in the top 10 universities nationally and amongst the very best young universities in the world. They offer over 200 world-class degrees that are informed by industry and delivered with a highly practical approach to teaching and learning. In fact, they are South Australia’s number one university for graduate careers. They are a valuable partner with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
The University of South Australia (UniSA) flagship MBA delivers a rigorous curriculum informed by above world-class research in Business and Management1
Recognised for excellence, UniSA’s 100% online MBA is also ranked No.8 in the world and No.1 in South Australia2.
You’ll experience our sophisticated digital learning platform with opportunities to connect with your peers and access all the content you need from our expert academic team.
As part of your MBA, you will complete 12 courses:
- nine compulsory core courses (which you can study in any order following the first course);
- two electives from a choice of more than 80 business and management courses; and
- one capstone course, encompassing learnings from across the program.
Each course is ten weeks in duration, requiring approximately 15 hours of study per week, with many courses also offered in intensive mode to fast-track your study.
The program is taught by leading business experts from our broad range of research institutes, centres and concentrations including the Ehrenberg‐Bass Institute for Marketing Science – one of the world’s leading centres for research into marketing. The Institute makes fundamental discoveries about consumer behaviour for global corporations, providing you with the opportunity to learn from the same marketing scientists that advise senior marketing executives from all over the world.
UniSA MBA graduates demonstrate:
- a progressive understanding to apply advanced theoretical and technical knowledge and skills in areas of business leadership and senior management decision-making, to solve multifaceted problems and drive business growth while demonstrating a capacity for critical reflection, self‐development and resilience as a business leader and senior executive;
- competency in critically reflecting, reviewing, analysing, identifying and providing meaningful resolutions to complex business leadership and senior executive problems;
- a high level of personal autonomy, adaptability and ability to motivate teams, applying judgement in an ethically and socially responsible manner in sustainable business leadership and senior executive decision making;
- advanced communication skills and technologies in business leadership and senior executive practice, with a variety of stakeholders;
- sensitivity to audiences in leading and presenting challenging ideas in a diverse workplace, and to the senior business, industry, government, and global community; and
- the ability to critically reflect, analyse and evaluate the impact of global cultural, legal, business and other disruptive factors on the leadership and senior executives of organisations, including responsibilities of a globally responsible citizenry.
12018 Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA).
2CEO Magazine 2020 Global MBA Rankings.
The UniSA MBA specialising in human resource management is designed for experienced managers and executives, providing the knowledge and skills to advance your career in senior management or leadership roles within your area of expertise in business, government and industry.
AICD Company Directors Course
Offered through a unique partnership with the Australian Institute of Company Directors (AICD), this highly-regarded course is offered as a recognised elective or capstone course of our MBA curriculum – the first collaboration of its kind in Australia. Delivered intensively in Adelaide, this course will give you the specialist knowledge and skills to advise boards, join boards, and to better understand the contribution a high functioning board makes to an organisation’s success. You will also be eligible to use the post-nominal GAICD (Graduate Member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors) upon successful completion.
UniSA MBA graduates join a dynamic, global network of more than 55,000 alumni. As part of UniSA’s alumni network, you’ll continue to sharpen your skills and knowledge, gain access to UniSA’s continual development programs and resources, and benefit from exclusive opportunities and events. UniSA’s alumni network is made up of an international community of enterprising professionals, executives, managers and scholars.
Applications seeking admission to the degree are required to meet the following entry criteria:
- A minimum of three (3) years full time management experience and a recognised university undergraduate degree or equivalent professional qualifications; OR
- A Graduate Certificate or Graduate Diploma in Business Administration from the University of South Australia with an average of at least Pass Level 1 (55%) across four (or more) courses, or an equivalent qualification from the University of South Australia or from another recognised university; OR
- The Program Director may, under exceptional circumstances, accept candidates with substantial and proven managerial and/or entrepreneurial experience who have demonstrated the potential to meet the learning requirements of the MBA
All applicants are also required to submit a detailed curriculum vitae or equivalent with at least one referee who can validate work experience.
Work and Life
If you do not currently hold an undergraduate qualification but meet the management experience requirements, you may be eligible for the Graduate Certificate in Business Administration (four subjects which provides a pathway into, and credit towards the MBA.
All core subjects in the MBA are available online or face-to-face online. Some elective options may only be offered in intensive, face-to-face mode. The program can be completed entirely online, enabling the MBA to work for you and your lifestyle.
Successful applicants are required to attend or view a Commencement Seminar, held prior to the start of the study period into which the applicant is accepted.
In a landmark collaboration between the Australian Institute of Company Directors and the University of South Australia, students in the Master of Business Administration have the opportunity to undertake the Company Directors Course as an elective or capstone option during their program. In this Australian first, UniSA MBA graduates who complete the AICD Company Directors Course as part of their MBA program will also receive recognition from the AICD and may be eligible to use the GAIDC graduate post nominal.
Credit transfer and exemption may be offered through recognition of prior learning for up to one third of your program to eligible applicants, at the discretion of the Program Director. If you have completed appropriate postgraduate management courses at recognised institutions, you may apply for a credit transfer. Graduates of the following courses are recognised as eligible to receive credit towards the MBA program:
- Australian Centre for Business Growth (CBG) nine-month Business Growth Programs - one elective course and one core course (9 units)
- CPA Australia CPA program - one elective course and two core courses (13.5 units)
- Australian Institute of Company Directors (AICD) Company Directors Course - one elective course credit (4.5 units)
- Government of South Australia, Department for Education and Child Development Graduate Diploma Strategic Leadership - two elective course credits (9 units)
- Leaders Institute of South Australia Governors Leadership Foundation Program - one elective course and one core course (9 units)
Ranked the No.8 Online MBA in the world1 and in the top ten MBA programs in the country for 12 years2, UniSA’s Master of Business Administration is designed for experienced managers and executives. The program delivers a strong applied and practical focus, embedded in senior management decision‐making and the latest in management research.
You will gain real‐world insights through access to academic and industry experts, curriculum informed by above world-class research in Business and Management3, and professional practice to maximise your career progression. You will engage with a cohort of experienced peers from diverse industry backgrounds, in a highly interactive online learning environment.
You will deepen your expertise in fields such as strategy, marketing, finance, leadership, law, international business, and ethics and sustainability, providing real‐time application in the workplace.
Flexible learning options mean you can tailor your studies to your busy lifestyle and choose to study 100% online, face‐to‐face (including evening classes and intensives) or as a combination of both.
You can also participate in a global study tour, providing you with an international perspective. Another benefit of this degree is that you can complete the Company Directors Course intensively in Adelaide, as part of the MBA curriculum, which is offered in a unique partnership with the Australian Institute of Company Directors (AICD).
UniSA Business is ranked in the Top 1% of business schools worldwide4. Its 5‐Star MBA is recognised and respected globally for its excellence and has received this rating for ten consecutive years5. It offers a dynamic, engaging, and completely flexible degree that delivers invaluable networking opportunities, preparing you to think and act as a global business leader.
UniSA Business is the only business school in South Australia accredited by both AACSB International (The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business) and EFMD (EQUIS) – the world’s leading accreditation bodies recognising excellence in business education and research at a global level. These dual accreditations demonstrate the high standards we hold across all areas such as teaching, student learning and research, as well as our commitment to continually improving the quality of our programs.
You will also graduate with a high-quality MBA qualification no matter how you study – the program content, opportunities and level of dedicated support are the same whether you complete your program online, on campus or in blended mode.
If you are driven to create new solutions, lead innovative teams, and deliver exceptional results in the context of disruptive change and global uncertainty, UniSA’s MBA is for you.
1CEO Magazine 2020 Global MBA Rankings.
22019 Australian Financial Review, BOSS Survey.
32018 Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA).
4UniSA Business is one of just ten institutions in Australia and 189 globally to be accredited by EQUIS (from over 16,500 worldwide). EFMD, February 2020.
5Graduate Management Association of Australia (GMAA).
UniSA is proud to support aspirational and high achieving professionals with the Women in MBA (WiMBA) and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander MBA partnership scholarships.
It is well known that a Master of Business Administration is a pathway to leadership and career progression. Our dedicated scholarships actively address leadership inequality and champion women as well as Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians with leadership potential, to advance their careers into senior management and executive roles.
The WiMBA scholarship actively addresses leadership inequality and champions women with leadership potential to advance their careers into senior management and executive roles.
The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander MBA scholarship is offered to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians to develop their careers as leaders and senior managers in business, government and industry.
The scholarships are offered by UniSA in partnership with employers, matching contributions of 50% of MBA tuition fees, to cover the scholarship recipient’s full MBA tuition costs. To maximise success, employers are required to provide flexibility in working arrangements to support study, a career mentor and supportive career pathway options, in addition to the financial contribution.
Find out more about UniSA’s MBA partnership scholarships including entry criteria and the application process.
Recommended Study Pattern
You will commence the MBA program with the course Strategic Thinking: Concepts and Tools and then have the flexibility to select the order in which you study the remaining courses. Several prerequisites may apply depending on the capstone course undertaken, and this capstone course should be completed towards the end of the program.
As a guide, full-time MBA students generally undertake two courses and part-time students undertake one course per study period. Completing the MBA full-time will normally take 18 months, however, there are options to fast-track your learning to complete the program in 12 months. Part-time students taking one course per study period can typically complete the MBA in three years.
- Strategic Thinking: Concepts and Tools
- Accounting for Decision Making
- Managerial Finance
- Managing People and Organisations
- The Law for Managers
- International Business
- Strategic Marketing
- Ethics, Governance and Sustainability
- Leadership for Growth
- Specialisation Elective 1
- Specialisation Elective 2
- Strategic Industry Project
Human Resource Management specialisation electives:
- Workplace Learning and Development
- Managing the Global Workforce
- Introduction to Human Resource Management
- Australian Industrial Relations
- Strategic Management of Human Resources
- Managing Employee Performance and Rewards
- Employment Law F
- Responsible Leadership
- Workplace Health and Safety Management
- Recruitment and Selection
To successfully complete the requirements of the MBA, you must complete nine core courses, 2 specialisation electives and a capstone course.