Graduate Diploma of Critical Care Paramedicine
Become a leader in critical care
Designed for paramedics looking to expand their knowledge, this course can help you become a team leader or sole responder in critical care paramedicine. Learn advanced-level clinical knowledge to apply to your daily paramedical practice.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
100% online study with practicum placement
- No dates available
ECU is ranked one of the world’s best young universities and Australia’s best public university for teaching quality. That quality extends to more than 30,000 students, many studying online through Open Universities Australia. ECU offers the same quality of teaching to you, regardless of where you’re studying in the world. Their flexible study solutions include a huge range of online courses, recognising your need to juggle work, family or other commitments.
Learn more about ECU.
Explore ECU courses.
QS Ranking 2024
Times Higher Education Ranking 2024
What you'll learn
At the end of the program, students of the Graduate Diploma of Critical Care Paramedicine can:
- apply cognitive, technical and creative skills to investigate, evaluate and synthesise complex ideas, concepts and theories in critical care paramedical contexts
- communicate complex medical and paramedical knowledge, research principles and methods to demonstrate an advanced level of critical care Paramedicine
- use high level self-management skills to initiate, appraise and operate in complex and dynamic professional environments.
Graduates of this program will be well-placed to take on the clinical leadership challenges of Paramedicine.
Possible future job titles:
Paramedic, Advanced Care Paramedic, Critical Care Paramedic, Intensive Care Paramedic.
The following course-specific admission requirements are mandatory and must be satisfied by all applicants.
All applicants are required to have a Bachelor’s degree in Paramedicine, or have completed a Graduate Certificate of Critical Care Paramedicine, with equivalents considered.
Work and Life
Alternatively applicants can apply if they have at least five years appropriate professional experience.
English Proficiency Requirements
English competency requirements may be satisfied through completion of one of the following:
- IELTS Academic Overall band minimum score of 6.5 (no individual band less than 6.0);
- Bachelor degree from a country specified on the English Proficiency Bands page for Band 4;
- Successfully completed 0.375 EFTSL of study at postgraduate level or higher at an Australian higher education provider (or equivalent);
- Where accepted, equivalent prior learning, including at least five years relevant professional experience; or
- Other tests, courses or programs defined on the English Proficiency Bands page for Band 4.
A clinical practicum is required.
Students will be required to attend the practicum during the hours established by the clinical placement agency. These may occur at times outside the identified semester weeks or normal business hours. Clinical practice periods may change with minimal notice to students due to circumstances outside the control of the School.
Credit for previous study or work
If you have completed units of study in another Postgraduate course or have relevant professional experience, you may be eligible for Credit and Recognition of Prior Learning (CRPL).
To assess your eligibility for credit, we first need you to apply for and accept an offer in your course of interest with us. You can then submit an Application for Credit and Recognition of Prior Learning via your Student Portal.
Designed to provide the paramedic with the necessary knowledge and skills for a career in critical care. The course focuses on the clinical issues directly related to practice and develops a greater depth of understanding to enhance clinical decision making and critical thinking. Students will learn advanced-level clinical knowledge to apply to their daily paramedical practice, while at the same time learning advanced skills in evidence-based practice and research. The combination of advanced clinical knowledge and applied research knowledge and skills provides students with the ability to continuously improve their own clinical practice, as well as impact on the organisation they are employed by and the broader Paramedicine community.
Degree structure details
Recommended Study Pattern
As a guide, core subjects in this degree can include:
- Advanced Cardiac Studies
- Advanced Medical Studies
- Advanced Obstetrics for Paramedics
- Paediatrics for Critical Care Paramedics
- Critical Care Practicum (Intensive Care Phase)
- Retrieval Medicine
As part of your application, you’ll be guided through how to get the right degree structure in place for you.
Students are required to complete 120 credit points.
Students who are unable to complete the course may be able to exit with a Graduate Certificate of Critical Care Paramedicine with Course Coordinator approval.