Warning! This is a restricted degree. Subject enrolment is only available to students admitted into this degree.
On successful completion of the requirements for this degree, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate evidence-based knowledge and skills that meet the competency standards required by professional accrediting bodies and certification organisations.
- Apply established theories to knowledge and practice in the discipline of OHSE in an Australian and International business context.
- Master and apply practice skills in the discipline of OHSE with reference to legislation and industry standards.
- Apply professional and community ethical and legal standards to practice.
- Apply twenty-first century communication skills and high-level, professional interpersonal skills.
OHSE professional practitioners are in demand because of the increasing focus on the management of occupational health, safety and environmental processes in accordance with the law and regulatory requirements. Graduates of this degree are likely to have increased opportunities across a wide range of professions and industries.
To be eligible for admission to the course, an applicant must have completed the following prerequisites:
- Bachelor degree in a related discipline; or
- Bachelor degree in a different discipline and evidence of substantial industry experience; or
- Graduate Certificate in Occupational Health Safety and Environmental Management or a related award.
In special circumstances, applicants can submit a proposal alongside a formal application, demonstrating their knowledge, experience, and skills are such that they are likely to succeed in the program.
Work and Life
Applicants without a degree who have appropriate professional work experience may be considered for entry at the Graduate Certificate in OHSEM.
English Proficiency Requirements
IELTS minimum score of 6.5
RPL or Credit may be granted according to ACU policies and applicants are advised to contact the Degree Administrator.
This graduate diploma is more than just an occupational health and safety degree. In addition to learning about hazard identification, risk assessment and applying control measures and monitoring their effectiveness you will also study environmental assessment and modelling, environmental and safety law, auditing, research methods, managerial skills and business administration issues.
A postgraduate qualification in Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental Management (OHSEM) is in high demand thanks to the recent introduction of national legislation and the increasing focus on ensuring OHSEM and Work Health and Safety (WHS) requirements are met in organisations.
The Graduate Diploma and Masters of Occupational Health Safety and Environmental are programs that are accredited with the Australian OHS Education Accreditation Board. This means students who graduate from these degrees will be deemed to have met the OHS qualification content requirement for Certification at the OHS Professional level (administered by the Safety Institute of Australia).
ACU’s Graduate Diploma of Occupational Health Safety and Environmental Management has been awarded accreditation by The Australian OHS Education Accreditation Board for a maximum of five years, from 2017 through to 2021.
For further information on The Australian OHS Education Accreditation Board visit: http://www.ohseducationaccreditation.org.au/about-us/
Recommended Study Pattern
All Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental Management students are advised to start the degree with the introductory subject OHSE601 Principles of OHSE Management.
To qualify for the award of Graduate Diploma in Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental Management students must complete eight subjects.