Graduate Diploma in Environmental Science
Become an environmental decision-maker
Would you like to lead an organisation towards better decisions for the environment? This course will show you how. Consider the greater context of ecosystems as you make choices based on impact and risk using management systems and auditing.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- No dates available
ECU is ranked one of the world’s best young universities and Australia’s best public university for teaching quality. That quality extends to more than 30,000 students, many studying online through Open Universities Australia. ECU offers the same quality of teaching to you, regardless of where you’re studying in the world. Their flexible study solutions include a huge range of online courses, recognising your need to juggle work, family or other commitments.
Learn more about ECU.
Explore ECU courses.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
What you'll learn
At the end of the program, students of the Graduate Diploma in Environmental Science can:
- Apply high level, independent judgement when planning, monitoring and evaluating Environmental Science issues to develop creative solutions.
- Communicate advanced knowledge, concepts and skills in Environmental Science to industry, government and consultants.
- Demonstrate management skills by planning, implementing and evaluating Environmental Science tasks.
This course provides students with exposure to industry/organisations as an integrated part of their units. This provides an excellent springboard for employment following this degree. Employment opportunities will be in local government, industry, state, national government and non-government organisations, particularly in the biology, ecology, mining and research sectors.
Academic admission requirements (Band 6) may be satisfied through completion of one of the following:
- Bachelor degree; or
Work and Life
- Equivalent prior learning including at least five years relevant professional experience.
English Proficiency Requirements
Students can satisfy English competency requirements by showing any
of the following:
- An IELTS Academic Overall band minimum score of 6.5 (no individual band less than 6.0).
- Completion of a Bachelor degree from a country specified by ECU.
- Completion of 0.375 EFTSL of study at postgraduate level or higher at an Australian higher education provider (or equivalent).
- Equivalent prior learning courses including at least five years relevant professional experience – as accepted by ECU.
- Completion of other tests, courses or programs as accepted by ECU
Credit for previous study or work
Reduce the time it takes to finish your degree. For eligible students, ECU offers credit and recognition of prior learning (CRPL). There are 2 CRPL options:
• Credit transfer to acknowledge students’ formal learning at uni or TAFE.
• Recognition of students’ informal learning gained outside of the education system (for example workplace experience or volunteer training.)
Designed for professionals who require the skills and knowledge to integrate environmental planning, conservation and monitoring into the broader decision-making of their organisations.
The course covers the areas of environmental impact assessment, planning and monitoring in the context of our major ecosystems, and emphasises the global, regional and local nature of environmental issues. Students also learn about environmental management systems, environmental auditing, risk assessment and water demand management.
Degree structure details
Recommended Study Pattern
As a guide, core subjects in this degree can include:
- Sustainability Assessment and Reporting
- Environmental Impact Assessment Procedures
- Environmental Monitoring and Investigation
- Integrated Environmental Management
Students are required to select 1 (ONE) unit from the following core options
- Management of Waste
- Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems
- Biological Conservation
- Biological Conservation
As part of your application, you’ll be guided through how to get the right degree structure in place for you.