Graduate Certificate of Critical Care Paramedicine
Boost your skills in critical care
If you’re a paramedic with a desire to provide greater care in emergency situations, this course can help you hone your knowledge. Deepen your understanding of pathophysiology, cardiac, medical and obstetric patients.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- No dates available
ECU is ranked one of the world’s best young universities and Australia’s best public university for teaching quality. That quality extends to more than 30,000 students, many studying online through Open Universities Australia. ECU offers the same quality of teaching to you, regardless of where you’re studying in the world. Their flexible study solutions include a huge range of online courses, recognising your need to juggle work, family or other commitments.
Learn more about ECU.
Explore ECU courses.
QS Ranking 2024
Times Higher Education Ranking 2024
What you'll learn
At the end of the program, students of the Graduate Certificate of Critical Care Paramedicine can:
- apply cognitive, technical and creative skills to investigate and evaluate complex ideas, concepts and theories in critical care paramedical contexts
- communicate specialised medical and paramedical knowledge, research principles and methods to demonstrate a high level of critical care Paramedicine
- use self-management skills to initiate, appraise and operate in complex critical care professional environments.
Graduates of this program will be well-placed to take on the clinical leadership challenges of Paramedicine.
Possible future job titles: critical care paramedic, intensive care paramedic, paramedic, extended care paramedic
The following course-specific admission requirements are mandatory and must be satisfied by all applicants. These requirements are in addition to or supersede the minimum requirements outlined within the Academic admission requirements band section below.
All applicants are required to have a Bachelor's degree in Paramedicine, with equivalents considered. Alternatively applicants can apply with equivalent prior learning including at least five years appropriate professional experience.
English Proficiency Requirements
Students can satisfy English competency requirements by showing any of the following:
• An IELTS Academic Overall band minimum score of 6.5 (no individual band less than 6.0).
• Completion of a Bachelor degree from a country specified by ECU.
• Completion of 0.375 EFTSL of study at postgraduate level or higher at an Australian higher education provider (or equivalent).
• Equivalent prior learning courses including at least five years relevant professional experience – as accepted by ECU.
• Completion of other tests, courses or programs as accepted by ECU.
Credit for previous study or work
Reduce the time it takes to finish your degree. For eligible students, ECU offers credit and recognition of prior learning (CRPL). There are 2 CRPL options:
• Credit transfer to acknowledge students’ formal learning at uni or TAFE.
• Recognition of students’ informal learning gained outside of the education system (for example workplace experience or volunteer training.) "
Designed to provide the paramedic with the necessary knowledge and skills for a career in critical care Paramedicine.
The course focuses on the clinical issues directly related to practice, and develops a greater depth of understanding of the pathophysiology, assessment and management of cardiac, medical and obstetric patients in the acute emergency setting.
Students will learn advanced-level clinical knowledge to apply to their daily paramedic practice, while at the same time learning advanced skills in evidence-based practice.
The combination of advanced clinical knowledge and and skills provides students with the ability to continuously improve their own clinical practice, as well as impact on the organisation they are employed by and the broader Paramedicine community.
Degree structure details
Recommended Study Pattern
As a guide, core subjects in this degree can include:
- Advanced Cardiac Studies
- Advanced Medical Studies
- Advanced Obstetrics for Paramedics
As part of your application, you’ll be guided through how to get the right degree structure in place for you.
Students are required to complete 60 credit points.