Graduate Certificate in Data Science
The essential professional skills in data
Up-skill for career opportunities with this specialised data science course. You’ll study big data, data wrangling, and more. Get ready to model real-world situations, think abstractly, and interpret data. Keep up with an evolving industry.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- No dates available
The University of Newcastle is dedicated to outstanding education and research. Their degrees are shaped around global learning, work placements and entrepreneurial opportunities. The university is known as a champion of innovative approaches, striving for a dynamic teaching culture that delivers world-class outcomes. Welcoming students from diverse backgrounds, they focus on equity and developing the next generation of socially-oriented leaders.
Learn more about Newcastle University.
Explore Newcastle University courses.
QS Ranking 2024
Times Higher Education Ranking 2024
What you'll learn
On successful completion of the program students will have:
- Specialised knowledge of statistical and computational models and concepts and proficiency in their application.
- Specialist knowledge in statistical and computational techniques for analysing and interpreting data sets.
- Critical thinking and analytical problem solving to support data management and data-oriented decisions.
- Specialised knowledge and skills required to use contemporary Big Data technologies to store, manipulate and analyse large unstructured data sets.
- Effective independent and collaborative work skills to apply specialised knowledge and expert judgement to data science.
Be on the forefront of an emerging field where companies are recognising the importance of the value of data and how this can be integrated into business strategy. Study a Graduate Certificate in Data Science at the University of Newcastle and expand your career options to take on roles like:
- Data Scientist
- Data Analyst
- Data and Insights Expert
- Big Data Specialist
- Information Security Analyst
Admission to the program will be available for applicants who have
- An AQF level 7 Bachelor degree or higher tertiary qualification OR
- An AQF Level 6 Advanced Diploma or Associate Degree in a cognate area plus a minimum of one year relevant experience, OR
- An AQF Level 5 Diploma in a cognate area plus a minimum of two years relevant experience, OR
- At least 5 years relevant professional experience
Work and Life
To be considered for admission based wholly or partly on professional experience, applicants must be able to demonstrate that their professional experience involves accessing/analysing/interpreting data.
English Proficiency Requirements
All Applicants must demonstrate that they meet the University’s English proficiency requirement. Further information regarding English language proficiency requirements can be found at the English Language Proficiency for Admission Policy here.
Credit for previous study or work
If you wish to apply for credit for studies completed at another institution, or if you are changing programs within the University and wish to transfer your credit to the new program, visit the University's credit website for more information on applying for credit.
A Graduate Certificate in Data Science from the University of Newcastle will provide you with the specialised skills to extract and communicate information from data. If you’re already a data scientist, or working in a related industry, this program will expand your practical skills and give you knowledge of the latest developments in the industry.
Degree structure details
Recommended Study Pattern
The program requires the successful completion of 40 units of Core courses.
- Big Data
- Data Wrangling and Visualisation
- Predictive Analytics
- The Science of Data Interrogation