Graduate Certificate in Building Surveying
Develop industry skills in building surveying
Explore building regulations and the inspection process. You’ll study building legislation and auditing, building codes, and more. Develop confidence in your professional practice. Deliver efficient and effective building surveying services.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- No dates available
Victoria University (VU) offers a world-class education to students in Melbourne and beyond. Number 1 in Australia for Employability Skills, VU is the first Australian university to deliver the revolutionary VU Block Model of teaching and learning. It enables students to study one subject at a time, in smaller classes, allowing more one-on-one time with lecturers and greater immersion in each subject. Core to VU is its partnership with industry.
Learn more about VU.
Explore VU courses.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
On successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
1. Review, critically analyse and formulate solutions to real world scenarios of planning and building permit applications, with a demonstrable understanding of the fundamentals of building materials, construction processes, energy efficiency principles and sustainable urban development;
2. Exemplify a thorough understanding of the professional and ethical responsibilities and practices of a building surveyor by critically evaluating appropriate documentation in order to assess applications for compliance with relevant legislation, codes, standards and local government requirements;
3. Critically evaluate the validity of engineering design principles for geotechnical, structural, building systems and mechanical services design;
4. Exemplify the ability to conduct research, write reports and advocate building surveying objectives and outcomes effectively to specialist and non-specialist stakeholders using a variety of professional oral and written forms; and
5. Exhibit responsibility and accountability for own learning and professional practice in collaboration with others and within broad parameters.
Graduates from the Graduate Certificate in Building Surveying may be employed in both the private and public sectors, for employers such as:
- building proprietors
- government bodies
- consultancy practices.
Graduates interested in pursuing further study in building surveying will have wider opportunities as key professionals in the construction industry, and will work closely with other professional disciplines, industry groups and development authorities.
Pending Australian Institute of Building Surveyors (AIBS) accreditation.
Completion of an Australian Bachelor degree or equivalent in a cognate discipline including but not limited to building surveying, construction management, building design, quantity surveying, architecture, civil/structural engineering.
Work and Life
A combination of qualifications deemed to be equivalent to any of the qualifications listed in the AIBS Scheme for Level 2 (Limited) Building Surveyor plus minimum five years of approved building surveying experience.
If you have completed study with another university or institution and believe you are eligible to receive credit for skills and past study, you can apply for advanced standing.
Applications for advanced standing can be made after a discussion with your course chair or academic adviser.
Develop your industry skills in building surveying and prepare for success, with a Graduate Certificate in Building Surveying from Victoria University.
Building surveyors are responsible for assessing plans, conducting inspections, issuing building permits, and interpreting building and construction regulations for buildings of any size and complexity.
Our graduate course will give you in-demand expertise in building regulations, construction compliance and inspection processes. You will come to understand building legislation and auditing, building codes, sustainable construction techniques and materials, fire-safety design, inspection procedures, building services and professional practice.
On graduation, you will have the expertise to:
- Support the delivery of efficient and effective building surveying strategies over the course of the approval and construction process
- Interpret building documentation and regulations
- Assess building construction documentation for compliance with building legislations, codes and standards
- Communicate with technical professionals such as builders, architects and engineers, regarding design objectives.
Students who successfully complete this course may be offered a place in the NGBS Graduate Diploma in Building Surveying Course with 48 credit points of Advanced Standing.
Build on your qualifications
This course is designed as a postgraduate qualification for graduates from the Bachelor of Building Surveying course, or for working professionals who would like to improve their skills and knowledge.
Besides these students and people with work and life experience, the program is also available to graduates from similar disciplines, including, but not limited, to:
- construction management
- building design
- quantity surveying
- civil/structural engineering.
We welcome graduates from any university in Australia.
Study in convenient eight-week blocks
Following the overwhelming success of the revolutionary VU Block Model with undergraduate students, we have rolled out the Block Model to our postgraduate courses.
This course is delivered in eight-week mode, which means you study two units (subjects) at a time over eight weeks (or one unit at a time over eight weeks for part-time study), rather than juggling several units at once. And with its focused timetables and smaller, collaborative classes, VU’s Block Model gives you more time to connect with your peers, lecturers and industry partners, helping you to build strong professional networks.
The VU Block Model has improved our student results and engagement, and has won multiple international awards for innovation and excellence.
An in-demand career
Australia is experiencing a shortage of building surveyors across all states and territories. The average age of qualified building surveyors in Australia is 55 and industry experts state things need to dramatically change.
By completing the Graduate Certificate in Building Surveying course, you'll be well-placed to find work, due to current strong industry demand.
Recommended Study Pattern
To attain the Graduate Certificate in Building Surveying students will be required to complete:
- 48 credit points Core units
Course structure and units
- Building Studies - Unit codeNBS6001, Credits12
- Building Controls and Regulations - Unit code NBS6002, Credits12
- Building Engineering - Unit code NBS6003, Credits12
- Professional Practice, Planning and Assessment - Unit code NBS6005, Credits12