Bachelor of Applied Social Science (Community Services)
Pursue a career in community and public services
Build on communication, counselling and policy theory with practical training and work placement that help you work towards your goals. ACWA accredited, with an extensive range of electives so you can tailor your learning to your passion.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- No dates available
At Torrens University Australia you can tailor your study to suit your lifestyle. Thanks to their innovative digital learning system you’ll gain the ultimate in flexibility, and still receive personalised guidance from academics and access to work placement, mentorship and internship opportunities. Online you can attend live classes or view recorded sessions, connect with lecturers and fellow students, and access content on-demand 24/7.
Learn more about Torrens.
As one of Australia’s fastest growing universities, we take a progressive approach to learning. Our courses are co-designed, developed and delivered with industry, giving you confidence that you’ll graduate job-ready. During this course you will:
- Apply effective counselling interventions with people presenting with alcohol and/or drug addiction
- Sharpen your communication to ensure suitable advice and support is offered
- Establish a grounding in relevant theory, transferrable into real-life counselling scenarios
- Explore the impact of mental illness on individuals and families
The Bachelor of Applied Social Science Community Services has been designed to prepare you for employment in a role that leverages advocacy, social policy and community development to improve and support the lives of others. You will be ready to begin working in the dynamic field of community services in a career that makes a difference. Potential career paths include:
- Family Services Worker
- Case Manager
- Community Development Officer
- Disability Support Manager
Professional recognitionACWA accredited This course is accredited by the Australian Community Workers Association.
Torrens University Australia offers flexible entry options and study pathways, whether you’re finishing school, pursuing career progression or looking for a change. Entry requirements for this course includes:
- Successful completion of a Higher Education qualification
- Year 12 (Australian secondary school certificate) or equivalent.
- Vocational qualification (AQF Level 4), or above.
Work and Life
- Work life experience demonstrating the ability to undertake study at the required level.
Standard English language requirements apply.
Visit our admissions centre for more information: https://www.torrens.edu.au/how-to-apply/admissions-criteria
Don’t meet the entry requirements? We have numerous pathway programs to get you started. Contact our Future Student Advisors to learn about alternative entry options.
This course focuses on practical training while providing a solid grounding in the relevant communication, counselling and policy theory. You'll be able to choose from our extensive range of elective subjects to focus your study on what you're passionate about. This degree also includes fieldwork placements, ensuring that you graduate with valuable experience and industry contacts.
Tailor your study to your lifestyle thanks to our innovative digital learning system, accessible from anywhere with 24/7 personalised support. With all your course materials online, and the option to study full or part time, on-campus, online or a blend of both it's all about flexibility.
Course duration: 3 years full time, part-time options available
Recommended Study Pattern
This course consists of 24 subjects, each with a value of 10 credit points.
- Level 100 comprises 8 core subjects (as per Diploma of Applied Social Science).
- Level 200 comprises 7 core subjects, with 6 of these being common with the Bachelor of Applied Social Science (Counselling), and 1 elective subject.
- Level 300 comprises 6 core subjects, with 3 of these being common with the Bachelor of Applied Social Science (Counselling), and 2 elective subjects.