Bachelor of Applied Business
Take a hands-on approach in business
Become work-ready by getting under the hood of organisations. Get hands-on with business fundamentals, project management, digital branding, ethics and more. This business degree has a particular focus on marketing.
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
- No dates available
The third university established in Victoria, La Trobe University has a diverse community of more than 33,000 students and staff. Its commitment to excellence in teaching and research prepares students to make a bold and positive impact in today's global community. La Trobe provides Open Universities Australia with its core tenets, entrepreneurship and sustainability.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
Upon successful completion of this degree students should be able to:
- Identify, source and analyse information relevant to business and social challenges
- Evaluate a range of alternate solutions to business and social challenges and account for potentially competing economic, ethical, social and commercial perspectives in a responsible manner
- Communicate professionally and effectively with a range of stakeholders, using a variety of modes of communications and appropriate tools
- Devise innovative recommendations to business and social challenges, based on the identification of the elements of a problem and the application and evaluation of problem solving approaches
- Engage professionally and effectively to the success of a multicultural, team, in a manner which is respectful of the needs, values, personalities and capabilities of others
- Utilise digital technologies to identify, source, analyse and communicate information relevant to business and social challenges
- Meet the disciplinary knowledge and skill requirements for graduates seeking to commence a career in business
This course has been designed with a high employability focus in the exciting world of business. Career opportunities include:
- Administration manager
- Executive personal assistant
- New business start-up
- Office administrator
- Office manager
- Product manager
- Project assistant
- Administration officer
- Executive officer
- Program consultant
- Program coordinator
An equivalent academic level achievement
Completion of Year 12, with a study score in English of at least 25. An ATAR of at least 50.0 or equivalent is required.
Completion of a minimum of Certificate IV
Work and Life
Students may apply based on two years relevant work experience after leaving school
Students who have studied at tertiary level elsewhere, or who have relevant studies or work experience, may be eligible for advanced standing (credit) towards a La Trobe University qualification. Advanced standing enables you to complete your degree earlier, reduce your study load and/or take on additional qualifications.
We can provide you with more details about the process for advanced standing at enrolment (advanced standing is similar to recognition of prior learning).
This fully online degree helps you to build the knowledge and skills necessary for a career in a wide range of areas within business and the not-for-profit and public sectors. Through the core you will learn how to communicate and work effectively with others to solve the sort of business challenges you will face developing your business career, either in starting up your own business or working for an existing business.
The program adopts enquiry based learning approach that helps you to develop important problem-solving and decision-making skills relevant to any business. Graduates may go on to develop careers in the management of large, medium and small businesses in government and private sectors, both domestically and internationally.
This course is delivered online in partnership with Didasko.
Recommended Study Pattern
As a full-time student, each year of your course must be completed within 12 months. You will then achieve your bachelor degree by studying 24 subjects over a 3 year timeframe.* Undertaking 30 hours of study per week should see you successfully complete your qualification within this timeframe. Each subject has specific deadlines based around your study plan which you must meet.
You may undertake your studies part-time instead, however, this will extend the duration of your course. Feel free to ask the La Trobe Student Admissions Team about this option.
Note: The subjects in this course are only available to students enrolled into the online degree programs.
*Minimum timeframe for the bachelor degree is 36 months. This can vary according to:
- Your progress in the course
- Leave of absence, such as holidays
- Advanced standing granted
- Changes between part-time and full-time
- Availability of subjects (for preferred elective options)
- Two not-for-credit online modules: one will provide you with an introduction to concepts of academic integrity and the other an introduction to local indigenous culture
- A core of fourteen subjects is designed to: enhance your understanding of business principles and develop your business skills; and develop and assess your communication, research, thinking, problem-solving and teamwork skills through all three levels of the course
- Two of the common core subjects, Sustainability Practices and Entrepreneurship, will provide you with opportunities throughout your course to apply your disciplinary knowledge and skill, through multidisciplinary teams, to researching, analysing and resolving global, sustainability and entrepreneurial challenges typical of those facing business today
- Ten elective subjects provide you with the opportunity to extend the breadth of your course. You may choose to use these subjects to complete an eight-subject major, which is an optional requirement of this course, in order to provide you with the disciplinary depth required to practice your chosen discipline
- This degree is designed to be completed within three years of full-time study, although part-time study is possible. The maximum time allowed for a student to complete this degree is seven years.
- Students must complete the course set out below, comprising 360 credit points (24 subjects)
- No more than 150 credit points (10 subjects) may be at first-year level
- At least 120 credit points (8 subjects) must be at third-year level
- Students must complete all prerequisite subjects prior to enrolling in a core or elective subject
- LTU0AIM is a not-for-credit subject that students are required to complete at the commencement of their first semester. The subject is designed to enhance students' knowledge and awareness of issues concerning academic integrity
- ABS0WOM is a not-for-credit subject that students are required to complete at the commencement of their first semester. The subject is designed to introduce students to Indigenous Australian perspectives, experiences, history, culture and customs
La Trobe University online applied degrees provide you with the unique opportunity to achieve up to three qualifications over the duration of your studies.
Subject to satisfactorily completing each part of your course, you will be awarded an applied diploma (end year 1), an applied associate degree (end year 2), and an applied bachelor degree when you complete all three years. Your potential earning capacity increases as you progress through your course.