Associate Degree of Applied Information Technology
Australian Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
The third university established in Victoria, La Trobe University has a diverse community of more than 33,000 students and staff. Its commitment to excellence in teaching and research prepares students to make a bold and positive impact in today's global community. La Trobe provides Open Universities Australia with its core tenets, entrepreneurship and sustainability.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
Upon successful completion of this degree, students should be able to:
- Produce reports that convey technical and business requirements to relevant stakeholders consistent with professional standards in Information Technology
- Develop oral presentations that communicate technical and business requirements to diverse audiences, including colleagues and stakeholders in IT and general communities
- Analyse and critically evaluate numerical data and other evidence from business, technical and scientific reports to make informed judgements and develop recommendations for a range of stakeholders in IT
- Locate, analyse and evaluate relevant business related literature to develop IT specifications for cloud based business systems
- Apply strategies to solve cloud system problems and other challenges in cloud technology
- Evaluate unfamiliar business and technical problems and implement IT cloud solutions consistent with professional standards
- Contribute constructively to teams through team-building, self-assessment, negotiation and communication skills to enable successful completion of professional projects in cloud technology
This course has been designed with a high employability focus in the exciting world of IT. Graduates will fit roles that bridge the gap between technical and management personnel. Career opportunities include:
- Project Coordinator
- Database Administrator
- Intranet Support
- Application Support Analyst
- Information Security Analyst Lvl 1
- Penetration Tester
- Service Desk Analyst
Students may apply to this degree having met an equivalent academic level achievement in higher education.
Completion of Year 12, with a score of at least 25 in English. An ATAR of at least 50.0 or equivalent is required.
Completion of a minimum Certificate IV
Work and Life
Students may apply based on at least one year of relevant work experience after leaving school.
Students who have studied at tertiary level elsewhere, or who have relevant studies or work experience, may be eligible for advanced standing (credit) towards a La Trobe University qualification. Advanced standing enables you to complete your degree earlier, reduce your study load and/or take on additional qualifications. We can provide you with more details about the process for advanced standing at enrolment (advanced standing is similar to recognised prior learning).
Right now, there are over 13,300* IT positions available in Australia and many more worldwide. IT is the most in-demand area of expertise in industry the world over. From fashion to farming, automotive to military, production lines to play, no business today succeeds without IT. This applied associate degree will enhance your opportunities in securing a role in this exciting sector.
Being a state-of-the-art applied qualification, this practical two-year associate degree gives you the skills needed to perform a range of in-demand specialist IT functions with employability for just about any industry built-in. From your first IT role, you can create your own career path with a skill set that is, and will continue to be, sought out by employers the world over.
*SEEK Feb 2020
Recommended Study Pattern
As a full-time student, each year of your course must be completed within 12 months. You will then achieve your associate degree by studying 16 subjects over a 2 year timeframe.* Undertaking 30 hours of study per week should see you successfully complete your qualification within this timeframe. Each subject has specific deadlines based around your study plan which you must meet.
You may undertake your studies part-time instead, however, this will extend the duration of your course. Feel free to ask the La Trobe Student Admissions Team about this option.
*Minimum timeframe for the associate degree is 24 months. This can vary according to:
- Your progress in the course
- Leave of absence, such as holidays
- Advanced standing granted
- Changes between part-time and full-time
- Availability of subjects (for preferred elective options)
Completion of 16 subjects as outlined in the recommended study pattern.