How to become a physician
Pathways to this career
- Physicians must complete undergraduate studies such as a bachelor degree in medicine or surgery.
- Alternatively, study a degree in health or biomedical science before completing postgraduate studies in medicine, allowing you to qualify for a medical residency.
- Complete a 1-2 year residency in hospitals or community practices to meet work experience requirements and get on-the-job training from professional physicians.
- Register with the Medical Board of Australia to qualify as a practising physician.
- Complete a fellowship to become an expert physician and specialise in a particular area of medicine.
What does a physician do?Physicians diagnose diseases, illnesses, and disorders, and administer healing treatments. They often work highly stressful but rewarding jobs and can be employed in several places, including hospitals, private clinics, schools, and the armed forces.
Duties and tasks
- Ask patients to explain symptoms and diagnose possible issues.
- Maintain doctor and patient confidentiality.
- Manage residents, nurses, interns etc.
- Prescribe medications to patients.
- Recommend patients to a specialist if necessary.
- Request additional tests, blood work, etc. if necessary to determine a health issue, refer to patient files as necessary.
- Australian Medical Association (WA)
- Australian Medical Association Queensland
- Australian Medical Council (AMC)
- Medical Board of Australia
- The Medical Council of New South Wales
- The Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP)
Discover related courses
Graduate Certificate in Therapeutic Medication Management
- Core subjects
Step up your career with these resources
What is an occupational therapist and what do they do?
Occupational therapists play a crucial role in healthcare. But what exactly do they do, and how can you follow this rewarding career path? Let’s find out.
Dietitian vs nutritionist in Australia: What’s the difference?
Want to help people make healthier food choices? Get to know the nutrition experts who guide us on everything from macros to calories for a living.
Adriana is using her nutrition degree to make a difference
With her Bachelor of Food and Nutrition, Adriana educates others about the impact food can have on the body.