How to become a life scientist
What does a life scientist do?
Life scientists study the substance, function and interactions of living organisms and their environments. They conduct experiments and studies based on research objectives. They should have scientific knowledge and strong attention to detail as well as strong analytical abilities to interpret data.
Duties and tasks
- Analyse information gathered from labs, research, observation or studies and manage progress and actions to be taken.
- Conduct experiments on the chemical configurations of cells, organs and tissue.
- Design research projects and experiments to test theories or advance information on a particular subject.
- Document lab, research and observational findings into database systems, lab reports, scientific papers and theoretical reports.
- Examine the structure and functions of organs and bodily processes and tissue through dissections and microscopic analysis.
- Explore the interactions of living organisms with their environments and analyse the effects of changed environmental conditions on species.
- Observe and analyse micro-organisms as they relate to humans, animals and plant species to identify adverse causes and create beneficial functions for them.
- Association of Professional Engineers, Scientists and Managers Australia
- Australian Institute of Marine Science
- Australian Marine Sciences Association
- Australian Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Australian Society for Microbiology
- Australasian Systematic Botany Society
- Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
Discover related degrees
Discover related subjects
Step up your career with these resources
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.
How to write a business plan
Thinking about striking out on your own and starting your own company? Here's how to create an effective business plan.