How to become a mining engineer
Pathways to this career
- Mining engineers must have a bachelor degree in engineering, majoring in mining or geotechnical engineering.
- Boost your profile as a mining engineer by studying a postgraduate degree, and gain higher level management roles.
- Apply for a graduate position or entry level role and work 2-3 years before progressing to a professional mining engineer classification.
- Industry licensing and registration may be a requirement in your state. For information on eligibility and how to apply, contact the Australian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy.
What does a mining engineer do?Mining Engineers direct the engineering aspects of the mining process. They coordinate the finding and extracting of minerals, petroleum, and natural gas.
Duties and tasks
- Conduct preliminary surveys of mineral, petroleum and natural gas deposits
- Prepare operation and project costs and production schedules
- Determine the most suitable methods of ore extraction
- Preparing plans and supervise construction of tunnels and chambers, location and construction of mine shafts
- Prepare technical reports for miners, engineers and managers
- Assess the natural, technical, financial and safety risks of project operations
- Planning and coordinating labour and equipment to meet targets, statutes, safety guidelines and environmental conditions
- Provide solutions to problems related to land reclamation, water and air pollution, and sustainability
- Association of Professional Engineers, Scientists and Managers Australia
- Engineers Australia is the national forum for the advancement of engineering
- National Engineering Registration Board
- Mining Carers Australia (MCA)
Step up your career with these resources
Is a career in project management right for you?
Do you get a kick out of thinking big and getting things done? You could make a great project manager.
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.