How to become an engineer
What does an engineer do?
Duties and tasks
- Analyse technology, resources and market demand to identify potential projects.
- Consult with management, production and marketing staff regarding project details.
- Coordinate and supervise projects.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures.
- Hire, train and assign staff.
- Prepare contracts, budgets and bids.
- Aerospace engineer
- Agricultural engineers
- Civil engineer
- Electrical engineer
- Engineering technologist
- Environmental engineer
- Industrial engineer
- Mechanical engineer
- Structural engineer
Discover engineering courses
Step up your career with these resources
Is a career in project management right for you?
Do you get a kick out of thinking big and getting things done? You could make a great project manager.
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.
We're here to guide you there
Our student advisors can assist you with enrolment, help you plan your studies, and answer questions about how studying through Open Universities Australia can get you from where you are today, to where you want to be tomorrow.