How to become an archivist or records manager
Pathways to this career
What does an archivist or records manager do?Archivists, curators, and records managers work for institutions including museums, libraries, and historical societies. They are responsible for collecting and maintaining collections of significance, preserving the past so others can rediscover it.
Duties and tasks
- Advance new methods for record keeping and classification systems to ensure effective organisation and navigation through the systems.
- Apply security codes and software to protect classified information and grant access only to authorised individuals.
- Develop and maintain organisation's record keeping systems, updating them periodically and analysing operations to modify systems for optimal results.
- Identify the condition of historical documents, objects or artefacts and coordinate or perform restoration and preservation efforts.
- Implement procedures for archiving documents or data and create classification systems, indexes and guides for locating them.
- Interpret a variety of records and preserve or archive them for future use.
- Organise artefacts and verify authenticity, consulting with specialists when necessary.
- Archive executive
- Information officer
- Records officer
Discover related degrees
Master of Health Information Management
- Data Analytics Specialisation
- Information Governance Specialisation
- Strategic Leadership Specialisation
Discover related subjects
Step up your career with these resources
What is an occupational therapist and what do they do?
Occupational therapists play a crucial role in healthcare. But what exactly do they do, and how can you follow this rewarding career path? Let’s find out.
Dietitian vs nutritionist in Australia: What’s the difference?
Want to help people make healthier food choices? Get to know the nutrition experts who guide us on everything from macros to calories for a living.
Adriana is using her nutrition degree to make a difference
With her Bachelor of Food and Nutrition, Adriana educates others about the impact food can have on the body.