How to become a librarian
Pathways to this career
- Complete an accredited bachelor degree in librarian and information studies
- Do you already have a bachelor degree in another area? Change pathways with a postgraduate qualification in library studies or information management.
- Move into specialised roles such as management, reference work, children’s services or research after gaining on-the-job experience.
- Research any industry bodies and stay-up-todate with the latest in your chosen field of expertise.
What does a librarian do?As information management professionals, librarians are responsible for researching, categorising, and managing information, resources and collections in library settings. They create and use databases to store information resources, as well as customer requests and activities.
Duties and tasks
- Assist library members to access books and other online resources and navigate library classification systems.
- Generate library services and policies and implement them in the library.
- Implement community activities at the library including children's story times, hosting external entertainers, reading clubs, etc.
- Maintain library database systems, cataloguing resources, checking out and filing book loans and preparing requested items or holds and transfers.
- Provide research information for library members or patrons.
- Select a variety of library resources to cater to various client interests and popular materials, meeting with publisher representatives to gain information on new works and publications.
- Train and supervise library assistants and maintain overall operations of library.
- Audiovisual librarian
- Childrens librarian
- Corporate librarian
- Information manager
- Legal librarian
- Parliamentary librarian
- Reference librarian
Discover related degrees
Discover related subjects
Step up your career with these resources
Are microcredentials worth it?
You can study a microcredential in just about any industry, from healthcare and education to business and marketing. Here’s why these skills-based short courses are worth your time.
5 qualities that make you a leader vs a manager
While managers dole out tasks, leaders take things a step further by inspiring everyone around them. Discover how you can become this kind of leader, no matter where you work.
How to write a business plan
Thinking about striking out on your own and starting your own company? Here's how to create an effective business plan.