How to become a librarian
Pathways to this career
- Complete an accredited bachelor degree in librarian and information studies
- Do you already have a bachelor degree in another area? Change pathways with a postgraduate qualification in library studies or information management.
- Move into specialised roles such as management, reference work, children’s services or research after gaining on-the-job experience.
- Research any industry bodies and stay-up-todate with the latest in your chosen field of expertise.
What does a librarian do?As information management professionals, librarians are responsible for researching, categorising, and managing information, resources and collections in library settings. They create and use databases to store information resources, as well as customer requests and activities.
Duties and tasks
- Assist library members to access books and other online resources and navigate library classification systems.
- Generate library services and policies and implement them in the library.
- Implement community activities at the library including children's story times, hosting external entertainers, reading clubs, etc.
- Maintain library database systems, cataloguing resources, checking out and filing book loans and preparing requested items or holds and transfers.
- Provide research information for library members or patrons.
- Select a variety of library resources to cater to various client interests and popular materials, meeting with publisher representatives to gain information on new works and publications.
- Train and supervise library assistants and maintain overall operations of library.
- Audiovisual librarian
- Childrens librarian
- Corporate librarian
- Information manager
- Legal librarian
- Parliamentary librarian
- Reference librarian
Discover related degrees
Master of Health Information Management
- Data Analytics Specialisation
- Information Governance Specialisation
- Strategic Leadership Specialisation
Discover related subjects
Step up your career with these resources
What is an occupational therapist and what do they do?
Occupational therapists play a crucial role in healthcare. But what exactly do they do, and how can you follow this rewarding career path? Let’s find out.
Dietitian vs nutritionist in Australia: What’s the difference?
Want to help people make healthier food choices? Get to know the nutrition experts who guide us on everything from macros to calories for a living.
Adriana is using her nutrition degree to make a difference
With her Bachelor of Food and Nutrition, Adriana educates others about the impact food can have on the body.