- Vectors and matrices: linear dependence of vectors, linear systems
- Row operations and row reduced echelon form
- Matrix inverse, determinants
- Eigenvalues and eigenvectors, diagonalisation of a square matrix
- Applications to coupled systems of differential equations, mechanics, ecology
- Linear and separable differential equations of first order.. inverse trigonometric functions and hyperbolic functions
- Techniques of integration : integration by parts, partial fractions, trigonometric integrals and substitution, improper integrals
- Applications of integration in mechanics, area, volume, centre of mass, moment of inertia, work
- Linear differential equations of second order, homogenous and inhomogeneous equations
- Applications to mechanics and electrical circuits
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
- Streaming Multimedia
- Virtual Classroom
- Web links
- Welcome letter
- Online Assessment
- Audio-Video streaming
- Online Assessment
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or currently be enrolled in the following subject(s) in a prior study period; or enrol in the following subject(s) to study prior to this subject:
Please note that your enrolment in this subject is conditional on successful completion of these prerequisite subject(s). If you study the prerequisite subject(s) in the study period immediately prior to studying this subject, your result for the prerequisite subject(s) will not be finalised prior to the close of enrolment. In this situation, should you not complete your prerequisite subject(s) successfully you should not continue with your enrolment in this subject. If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite subject(s) and believe you may not complete these all successfully, it is your responsibility to reschedule your study of this subject to give you time to re-attempt the prerequisite subject(s)
- EquipmentDetails - Audio headset with microphone are required to access weekly consultation and help desk facilities. Students will also require access to a scanner.
- OtherDetails -
You need to obtain a copy of MATLAB software as soon as possible. As a UniSA student, MATLAB is available for free from Mathworks. Once enrolled, instructions for installation are available. The MATLAB resources website is available as a helpful resource (if asked to Enrol, say yes).
We recommend that you install and activate the MATLAB software as early as possible and start working through the MATLAB Practicals guide, backed up with the Introduction to MATLAB guide, both available online through the UniSA website.
This subject is made up of topics that relate to applied linear algebra, the solution of ordinary differential equations and techniques of integration. You will study the properties of vectors and matrices and linear systems of equations including matrix multiplication, inverses, determinants and eigen values and vectors of square matrices. You will explore the application of these techniques to coupled systems of ordinary differential equations with examples from mechanics and ecology using software. You will learn about inverse trigonometric functions and hyperbolic functions and their derivatives. You will study techniques of integration and their application in mechanics to finding volumes of regular bodies, centre of mass and moments of inertia. You will see how to solve linear differential equations and consider applications in mechanics and electrical circuits with the aid of software.
- 2 Assignments (20%)
- Continuous Assessment (10%)
- Project (15%)
- Invigilated Exam (55%)
Click on the titles of the listed books below to find out more:
Textbook information is pending.
Associate Degree in Engineering
- Restricted - Core Subject Civil Engineering
- Restricted - Major in Civil Engineering
- Restricted - Core Subject in Mechanical Engineering
- Restricted - Major in Mechanical Engineering