- Functions, models, graphs
- Functions, limits
- Continuity, differentiation
- Trigonometry,trigonometric limits and derivatives, vectors
- Vectors, dot and cross products
- Related rates, mean-value theorem, antiderivatives
- Implicit differentiation, curve sketching
- Riemann sums, definite integral
- Integration by substitution, applications
- Inverse functions, exponential and logarithmic functions, l'Hopital's rule
- Graphs with exponential functions, parametric curves, differential equations
- Differential equations, complex numbers
- Resources and Links
- Printable format materials
- Online Assessment
- Audio-Video streaming
- Online Assessment
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or currently be enrolled in the following subject(s) in a prior study period; or enrol in the following subject(s) to study prior to this subject:
Please note that your enrolment in this subject is conditional on successful completion of these prerequisite subject(s). If you study the prerequisite subject(s) in the study period immediately prior to studying this subject, your result for the prerequisite subject(s) will not be finalised prior to the close of enrolment. In this situation, should you not complete your prerequisite subject(s) successfully you should not continue with your enrolment in this subject. If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite subject(s) and believe you may not complete these all successfully, it is your responsibility to reschedule your study of this subject to give you time to re-attempt the prerequisite subject(s)
- EquipmentDetails - Audio headset with microphone are required to access weekly consultation and help desk facilities.
- OtherDetails -
You need to obtain a copy of MATLAB software as soon as possible. As a UniSA student, MATLAB is available for free from Mathworks. Once enrolled, instructions for installation are available. The MATLAB resources website is available as a helpful resource (if asked to Enrol, say yes).
We recommend that you install and activate the MATLAB software as early as possible and start working through the MATLAB Practicals guide, backed up with the Introduction to MATLAB guide, both available online through the UniSA website.
This subject aims to introduce students to the basic requirements of mathematical methods needed by engineers using both analytical and software approaches. The subject includes topics in calculus and also an introduction to the mathematical software MATLAB and its applications. Topics include definition and properties of vectors, applications to the geometry of the plane, complex numbers, operations on complex numbers, modulus and its properties, functions and their graphs with applications to trigonometric and exponential functions, differentiation and applications to related rates problems and to maxima and minima problems, l'Hopital's rule, parametric representation of curves, solution of simple differential equations, visualisation of motion using computer software, integration of trigonometric and rational functions with applications to the calculation of simple plane areas and rates of change.
- Assignment 1 - 2 Assignments (30%)
- Assignment 2 - 5 Quizzes (10%)
- Assignment 3 - (45%)
- Assignment 4 - (15%)