Warning! This unit contains mature content and may not be suitable for some students. Any student under the age of 16 who would like to enrol in this unit must first complete a Parental Consent Form.
Contemporary Issues in Bioethics
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
- 24 Jul 2023
The University of Notre Dame Australia is committed to delivering an excellent student experience, alongside a high standard of teaching, research, and training. As a leader in ethical education, Notre Dame aims to develop students’ critical reasoning and their ability to make ethical decisions—crucial skills to progressing their careers and leading purposeful lives. At Notre Dame, students navigate their future with an ethical education online.
Learn more about UNDA.
QS Ranking 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
At the completion of this course you should be able to:
1. Demonstrate knowledge of current complex bioethical controversies.
2. Articulate sophisticated understanding of arguments for and against certain positions concerning bioethical controversies.
3. Communicate effectively, with mastery of analysis, various approaches taken when dealing with bioethical controversies.
4. Apply knowledge and understanding to complex contemporary practical situations in written and oral form
- Bioethics in the contemporary context; Just allocation of resources; Ethical issues regarding human organ transplantation; Ethical issues at the end and beginning of life; Ethical issues in research on early human life and development of novel therapies; Ethical issues in decision making in the COVID19 Pandemic; Ethical Issues regarding human genital surgery; Ethical obligations to our planet; Social Justice and Catholic social teaching; Research Ethics and the pharmaceutical industry; Informed consent; Transhumanism and use of artifical intelligence in medicine.
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
No additional requirements
Contemporary Issues in Bioethics addresses selected ethical issues relevant to health care and clinical research. Topics to be covered will include: ethical issues at the beginning and at the end of life; ethical issues in contemporary health care practice, including informed consent; conscientious objection; the just allocation of health care resources; organ transplantation; health and climate change; circumcision and female genital mutilation. The course also includes research ethics and the pharmaceutical industry; ethical issues involved with genetic technologies; the ethics of public health interventions; and the role of artificial intelligence in health care.
Three summative assessment components comprising 1. Engagement in tutorial discussions 2. Written disputation and 3. 0ral presentation of disputation
- Oral presentation of disputation . (20%%)
- Engagement in tutorial discussions (40%%)
- Written disputation (1500 words) (40%%)
Current study term: 23 Jul 23 to 19 Nov 23
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.