Warning! This subject requires you to do a practical placement, please see Special Requirements for more information.
Educational Intervention for Students with Learning Difficulties and Disabilities: PrEx 20 days
Your upfront cost: $0
Online & on-campus
- 27 Jun 2022
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Upon completion of this subject, students will be able to:
- demonstrate knowledge of the variability of how students develop and learn, of characteristics of students experiencing learning difficulties and disabilities, and of the factors that influence learning for all (GTSD 1.1.1, 1.2.1, 1.3.1);
- apply knowledge of the assessment of development and learning, and of interpretation/analysis of assessment from external professionals, to understand and report on student learning needs, learning difficulties and the impacts of disabilities on engagement and learning (GTSD 5.4.1, 5.5.1);
- demonstrate understanding of relevant and appropriate research into effective teaching and intervention for students with learning difficulties and disabilities (GTSD 1.5.1, 1.6.1, 6.2.1);
- design and implement, monitor progress and evaluate effectiveness of differentiated classroom programs and small group and individual intervention, with selected resources, using achievable challenges for all students (GTSD 1.5.1, 1.6.1, 2.2.1, 3.1.1, 3.2.1, 3.3.1, 3.4.1, 3.6.1, 4.1.1); and
- demonstrate competence in relation to a range of students during professional placement in a school setting (GTSD 2.3.1, 4.3.1, 5.1.1, 6.3.1).
- Topics will be available to enrolled students in the subjects Learning Management System site approximately one week prior to the commencement of the teaching period.
Candidature in the Bachelor of Special and Inclusive Education Primary. To enrol in this subject you will need to pass the Prerequisite/s. Please note as UNE results are released after the close of enrolment date, your enrolment into this subject will be withdrawn if you do not pass the prerequisite subject/s.
- Equipment requirements - Headphones or speakers (required to listen to lectures and other media) Headset, including microphone (highly recommended) Webcam (may be required for participation in virtual classrooms and/or media presentations).
- Placement requirements - Students are required to complete 20 days of school-based professional experience in an Australian special school, special education unit or an inclusive school environment.
- Software requirements - It is essential for students to have reliable internet access in order to participate in and complete your units, regardless of whether they contain an on campus attendance or intensive school component. For additional information please visit UNE Hardware Requirements: https://www.une.edu.au/current-students/support/it-services/hardware
- Other requirements -
Textbook information is not available until approximately 8 weeks prior to the commencement of the Teaching period.
Students are expected to purchase prescribed material.
Textbook requirements may vary from one teaching period to the next.
There will be times throughout your teaching career that you will need to adjust your teaching strategies to encompass the needs of students in your classes who have learning difficulties or disabilities. In this subject you will develop the responsive teaching skills to address the impact of learning difficulties and disabilities on engagement and learning in the classroom. You will learn how to confidently and effectively teach and intervene for children with learning difficulties or disabilities. This subject includes 20 days of professional experience.
Assessment 1 Online Task: 1500 words (equivalent). Relates to Learning Outcomes 1-3 Assessment 2 Written Task: 2500 words. Relates to Learning Outcomes 2-4 Assessment 3 Practical: 20 days. Relates to Learning Outcome 5
- Assessment 2 Written Task (60%)
- Assessment 1 Online Task (40%)
- Assessment 3 Professional Experience (%)
Current study term: 26 Jun 22 to 23 Sep 22
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.