Postgraduate | MAQ-ECHX8290 | 2024
Professional Experience 3
Course information for 2024 intakeView information for 2023 course intake
Refine your role as an early childhood teacher during a 30-day placement, 3 days a week over 10 weeks. Collaborate with children, parents and staff, and consider the context of the centre and characteristics of the children, families and community
- Study method
- Online & on-campus
- 100% online
- Entry requirements
- Part of a degree
- 18 weeks
- 22 July 2024
HECS-HELP and FEE-HELP available
Professional Experience 3
About this subject
On successful completion of this subject, you will be able to:
- Undertake candid self-assessment of progress towards both the unit learning outcomes and the Professional Teaching Standards
- Identify the importance of socially just practices associated with educational settings for children, families, and community
- Critically evaluate and utilise relevant theoretical and research literature to support teaching decisions
- Synthesise knowledge and skills development throughput the program in a teaching performance assessment
- Implement the requirements of the relevant statutory processes in relation to early childhood curriculum
- Communicate effectively as ethical, reflective and informed teachers when working with colleagues, children, families and other education and community stakeholders.
- A week-by-week guide to the topics in this unit will be provided in the study materials.
This unit was previously known as ECHX829 Early Childhood Postgraduate Internship.
This unit enables students to refine their roles as early childhood teachers. During their final placement students will have opportunities to strengthen their autonomy and independence as a teacher of young children as they explore their role within the centre and its local community. With increasing confidence, students will be able to justify their decision making as a teacher responding to the challenges of daily work in an early childhood centre. This unit contains a 30 day placement to be completed as three days a week over ten weeks. Students may apply to complete the placement requirements in their own workplace where appropriate.
The professional portfolio is the major written assignment for ECHX8290. It will focus on the questions: What does being a teacher mean to me? Approx 9000 words.
- Professional Experience Evaluation Report (0%)
- Teaching performance assessment (100%)
For textbook details check your university's handbook, website or learning management system (LMS).
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 44,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
Learn more about Macquarie.
Explore Macquarie courses.
- QS Ranking 2024:
- Times Higher Education Ranking 2024:
To enrol in this subject, you must be admitted into a degree.
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
MAQ-ECHX825 (Not currently available)
MAQ-ECEX825 (Not currently available)
You should not enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
MAQ-ECHX829 (Not currently available)
MAQ-ECEX829 (Not currently available)
NCCW (pre-2020 units) ECED829, ECEX829, ECHX829
NCCW ECHE8290 Early Childhood Postgraduate Internship
- Placement requirements - Macquarie University operates under a ‘Fitness to Practice’ model as specified in the University's Academic Progression Policy. For this Unit, this means that, when undertaking a placement, a student is declaring that they are able to demonstrate professional competence, acceptable professional behaviour, freedom from impairment, and compliance with program-specific requirements needed for a student to practice properly and safely throughout their Practical, Clinical or Professional program or unit. It is the responsibility of the student to determine whether they are fit to undertake a placement. Therefore, if a student is feeling unfit to undertake a placement, they should not do so. For more information see https://staff.mq.edu.au/work/strategy-planning-and-governance/university-policies-and-procedures/policies/academic-progression A Working with Children Check or State/Territory equivalent is required by the end of Week 3 to be eligible for a placement. Students may need to withdraw from this unit if this has not been obtained in time.
- Other requirements - Students who have an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion under Macquarie University's Academic Progression Policy are not permitted to enrol in OUA units offered by Macquarie University. Students with an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion who have enrolled in units through OUA will be withdrawn.
This is in the range of 20 to 24 hours of study each week.
Equivalent full time study load (EFTSL) is one way to calculate your study load. One (1.0) EFTSL is equivalent to a full-time study load for one year.
Find out more information on Commonwealth Loans to understand what this means to your eligibility for financial support.