Warning! This subject requires you to do a practical placement, please see Special Requirements for more information.
Connections and Transitions: 3-5 Year Old Placement
Your upfront cost: $0
Online & on-campus
- 31 Jul 2023
The third university established in Victoria, La Trobe University has a diverse community of more than 38,000 students and staff. Its commitment to excellence in teaching and research prepares students to make a bold and positive impact in today's global community. La Trobe provides Open Universities Australia with its core tenets, entrepreneurship and sustainability.
Learn more about La Trobe.
Explore La Trobe courses.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
- Demonstrate understanding and knowledge of the importance of continuity in the learning experience and the key issues which impact on an effective transition between early learning settings and school contexts, with particular consideration given to the correlation between the Australian Curriculum and Early Years Learning Framework.
- Articulate a range of strategies used to effectively and sensitively promote partnerships between teachers, children, families and other professionals to support transitions and the continuity of the learning process.
- Demonstrate understanding of skills and strategies that are responsive to sector based policies and practices to support children's wellbeing and safety and their engagement in learning, and which reflect knowledge and understanding of relevant legislation and curriculum requirements.
- • Transitions and continuity in early childhood education.
- • Curriculum documents: enablers and constraints to transitions and continuity.
- • Transition statements: policy, purpose & partnerships.
- • Making transition inclusive. Play based curriculum in the primary setting.
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
Prerequisites: Students must be admitted in the following course: EBECEO.
- Placement requirements - Professional Experience of 20 days in a 3-5 year old early learning setting is included in this subject.
This subject will present pre-service teachers with understandings and knowledge of the importance of continuity in the learning experience. Pre-service teachers will engage with particular transition practices which form a component of the year prior to formal school and which support young children's entry to the school system. Attention will be given to key issues impacting on effective and supportive transition for students between early learning settings and school contexts. Pre-service teachers will develop skills and strategies that are responsive to sector based policies and practices to support children's wellbeing and safety and their engagement in learning, and which reflect knowledge and understanding of relevant legislation and curriculum requirements. Particular consideration will be given to the correlation between the Australian Curriculum and the Early Years Learning Framework. A range of strategies to effectively engage families and professional colleagues in these aspects of the learning process will be examined. Professional Experience of 20 days in a 3-5 year old early learning setting is included in this subject.
- Part A: Critical Reflection Diagnostic task (200 words) (10%). This assessment task will be undertaken within the first 2 weeks of the term. Part B:Critical Reflection (1800 words) (40%) (50%)
- Transition Plan (2000 words). (50%)
- Professional Practice - 20 Days (0%)
For textbook details check your university's handbook, website or learning management system (LMS).