Warning! This subject requires you to do a practical placement, please see Special Requirements for more information.
Understanding Culturally Diverse Learning and Development
Your upfront cost: $0
Online & on-campus
- 18 Sep 2023
The third university established in Victoria, La Trobe University has a diverse community of more than 38,000 students and staff. Its commitment to excellence in teaching and research prepares students to make a bold and positive impact in today's global community. La Trobe provides Open Universities Australia with its core tenets, entrepreneurship and sustainability.
Learn more about La Trobe.
Explore La Trobe courses.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
Understand the need for different theoretical perspectives for different contexts of children's development.
Demonstrate understanding of a range of contemporary theories to analyse children's learning and development in socially, culturally and linguistically diverse communities.
Demonstrate research informed practices of critiquing contemporary theories of child development to understand children's learning and development in socially, culturally and linguistically diverse communities.
- • What is learning and development?
- • Engaging with complexity - world views, meaning making and knowledge creation.
- • Challenging assumptions - considering alternative perspectives about children's learning and development.
- • Teaching and learning in diverse education contexts.
Prerequisites: Students must be admitted into the following course: EBECEO
- Placement requirements - Professional Placement - (10 days birth to 2 years) Hurdle requirement: 10 DAYS placement is compulsory as this is an accreditation requirement.
This subject examines early childhood education in socially, culturally and linguistically diverse communities. You will learn to use theory to analyse learning and development in contemporary early childhood education and how to think critically about child development. This subject has 10 days professional expenses placement in a birth to two age group.
- Part A: Critical Reading Response diagnostic task (Approx 200 words) (10%). This assessment task will be undertaken within the first 2 weeks of the term. Part B: Critical Reading Response (Approx 1800 words) (40%) (50%)
- Play Event (2000 words) (50%)
- Professional Placement - (10 days birth to 2 years) Hurdle requirement: 10 DAYS placement is compulsory as this is an accreditation requirement. (0%)
For textbook details check your university's handbook, website or learning management system (LMS).