Warning! This subject requires you to do a practical placement, please see Special Requirements for more information.
Primary Professional Experience 1: Planning
Discern what it means to be an effective teacher. Focus on lesson planning, learning goals, appropriate teaching and assessment strategies and the use of relevant technology. Includes a 2-week professional experience placement.
There are no available classes. Find another subject.
Online and other materials
- 26 May 2019
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- create lesson plans with challenging learning goals, a range of teaching strategies, and diverse resources, including digital technologies, that reflect an understanding of how students learn
- demonstrate and evaluate the use of effective planning and a range of teaching strategies, acknowledging the needs of students from diverse backgrounds, in a primary classroom setting
- employ effective communication skills and maintain student safety in primary school settings
- examine and evaluate the way practising teachers plan learning experiences, and employ pedagogical and assessment strategies to engage students and monitor their learning.
- Effective teachers
- Australian context & curriculum
- Teaching and learning strategies
- Student engagement and motivation
- Planning for learning - lesson plans - curriculum / objectives / introductions
- Planning for learning - lesson plans - body and transitions
- Planning for learning, group work and creating/managing a positive learning environment
- Planning for learning - assessment
- Preparation for school placement
- Reflection and review
- Embedded Multimedia
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
- Streaming Multimedia
- Web links
- Audio-Video streaming
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or currently be enrolled in the following subject(s); or enrol in the following subject(s) to study at the same time or prior to this subject:
- PlacementDetails - Includes Professional Experience placement
- OtherDetails -
Access to Microsoft Office or a unit approved alternative; Access to video creation and editing software. Includes Professional Experience placement
This is the first in the suite of professional experience placement subjects. The subject explores what it means to be an effective teacher. It focuses on lesson planning, including selecting objectives and appropriate teaching, learning and assessment strategies. In addition, it includes the use of appropriate resources and effective communication to support learning. A two-week professional experience placement will enable students to apply their knowledge and skills gained in the theory component, and gain insights into the complexity of the teacher’s role, aiding their development of a teacher identity. The overall pass requirement for the subject consists of a mark of at least 50% for the theory component and a pass for the professional experience placement.
To view the Professional Experience Calendar, please see below:
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Exercises (60%)
- Prof Experience (Pass/Fail%)
- Report (40%)
Click on the titles of the listed books below to find out more: