Warning! This subject requires you to do a practical placement, please see Special Requirements for more information.
Planning, Execution and Evaluation of TESOL
Your upfront cost: $0
Online and other materials
- 30 Aug 2021
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- analyse and reflect on the role of the teacher in planning effective learning and teaching using current understandings about how students learn/acquire an additional language and contemporary approaches to materials design and evaluation
- evaluate effective lesson plans and language learning materials in terms of their capacity to show clear links between curriculum, objectives, learning and teaching approaches and strategies and the assessment of language ability
- demonstrate the use of effective lesson planning, and a range of appropriate learning and teaching approaches/strategies and materials in a series of lessons.
- Introduction and materials design overview
- The role of the teacher in planning effective learning /teaching and materials design
- Cultural diversity and approaches to learning and teaching/materials design
- Product and process aspects of materials provision
- Approaches to materials design in a digital age
- Needs analysis in materials design
- Relating classroom materials to lesson objectives
- Anticipating linguistic/cultural problems in lesson planning
- Practicality, authenticity and interactiveness in assessment
- Emerging and diverging approaches to assessment
- Preparation for the practical assessment and placement in a language learning setting
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
You won't be able to enrol into this subject if you've already successfully completed or currently enrolled in the following subject(s) as they are considered anti-requisites due to the similarity of the content.
- PlacementDetails - This subject includes a professional experience placement in an approved educational setting. The placement must be a minimum of 10 days in duration.
- OtherDetails -
Please note that any checks and/or clearances required by the placement provider must be provided prior to commencement of the placement.
This subject will introduce lesson planning including selecting appropriate aims/objectives, making assumptions about assumed linguistic knowledge of the students, anticipating potential linguistic problems and solutions to those problems and materials design. It will also consider appropriate teaching, learning and assessment strategies in language teaching. A two-week minimum professional placement will support the practical application of the knowledge and skills gained in the subject along with insights into the complexity of the language teacher’s role. Passing this subject is contingent on successful completion of the professional practice component of the subject.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Lesson and materials evaluation (50%)
- Lesson plan and materials development (50%)
- Professional experience placement (Pass / Fail%)
Current study term: 29 Aug 21 to 28 Nov 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.