Leadership in Early Childhood Education
Develop foundational leadership, management skills and knowledge. Explore ethical approaches, legislative and regulatory requirements, financial and administrative management, career development and ways of working with families and the community.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 31 Aug 2020
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- appraise ethical approaches to communication, problem-solving, and decision-making in early childhood education
analyse qualities, skills and knowledge necessary for establishing and maintaining partnerships with colleagues, families, and the wider community
- synthesise and report on the roles and responsibilities of leadership in early childhood education
- describe and evaluate the administrative roles and responsibilities associated with relevant legislative, administrative and organisational policies and processes related to early childhood education.
- Early Childhood Leadership in the Australian Context
- Being and Becoming an Early Childhood Leader
- Leading Beyond Quality
- Leading Pedagogy
- Ethical Leadership
- Effective Workplaces
- Strategic Planning
- Leading Advocacy and Activism
- Relationships with Families
- Community Engagement
- Financial Management and Marketing
- Standard Media
- Web links
- Embedded Multimedia
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Streaming Multimedia
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Chat Rooms
- Online assignment submission
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Audio-Video streaming
- Printable format materials
- Resources and Links
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
No special requirements
This subject was previously known as EDE492 Leadership in Early Childhood Education.
This subject provides the opportunity to develop foundational leadership skills and knowledge expected of contemporary early years educators. The subject examines the theory and practice of leadership in early childhood education, and students use an enquiry process to investigate and reflect on the leadership roles and responsibilities of early childhood educators across a range of dimensions. These include ethical approaches to leadership, regulatory requirements, advocacy, pedagogical leadership, and working in partnership with colleagues, families and the wider community.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Early Years Leadership Reflection (40%)
- Early Years Leadership Report (60%)
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.