Interior Architecture Practice
Broaden your view of the professional world in which an interior architect sits. Understand the impact of marketing, insurance and compliance. Go through the ins and outs of risk management. Explore the fundamentals of how to start your own practice.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 30 Nov 2020
- 31 May 2021
- 29 Nov 2021
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- evaluate, interpret and respond to hypothetical situations occurring in the professional practice of Interior Architecture
- critique professional design practice issues, scenarios and strategies
- communicate complex transdisciplinary realities of Interior Architecture professional practice including workplace culture, management and compliance
- construct and communicate a complex Case Study that includes interview processes and material inquiry
- explain components of professional design.
- Professional Practice
- Stages of a Project & Roles of Design Team Members
- Site Investigation
- Project Cost Management
- Contract Documentation
- Managing a Business
- Marketing design services & Client /Architect relations
- Risks in Design Practice
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
- OtherDetails -
Access to hardware: webcam, speakers and microphone
This subject is designed to prepare students for the challenges and opportunities of a career in design practice that extends to the transdisciplinary nature of interior design professional practice. Students investigate the role of the interior designer within the complexities of a project and what it means to collaborate professionally with consultants, suppliers and clients. A range of guest speakers will share expertise and practice experiences from a number of perspectives including practice management, law, contracts and specifications presenting various insights into the workplace culture. Students will also explore the management of a project, risk management, procurement, client relations, insurances, financial management, working with consultants, and relevant Building Code compliance.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Practice Case Study (35%)
- Scenario Report (40%)
- Professional Practice e-Test (25%)
Textbooks are not required.
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.
Bachelor of Applied Science Interior Architecture
- Level Four Subjects
- Level Four Subjects - Honours Stream